Shirley Clements Mewborn Field
|Shirley Clements Mewborn Field|
Location: 935 Fowler Street, Atlanta, GA 30332
Shirley Clements Mewborn Field is one of the premier softball facilities in the nation. The $4.9 million on-campus home of the Yellow Jackets was officially dedicated on March 10, 2009. It is named after Shirley Clements Mewborn, one of the first two women to receive a degree from Georgia Tech.
In its first two years at Mewborn Field, Georgia Tech hosted an NCAA Regional and was featured on ESPN. In 2009, Mewborn Field and the Jackets played host to the Atlanta Super Regional against eventual nation champion Washington, which was televised on ESPN and in 2010 the entire Atlanta Regional was broadcast in HD on ESPN and ESPN2.
Mewborn Field is a state-of- the-art facility nestled at the corner of Fowler and Eighth Streets on the Georgia Tech Campus. Some of the features include:
- A capacity of 1,500, including nearly 600 chair backs. Whether it's in the main grandstand or in a standing room area, each spot at Mewborn Field gives you a feeling like you are on top of the action, as well as a spectacular view of the Atlanta skyline, especially at night.
- Press box with separate TV and radio broadcast booths.
- Raised grassy hills on each baseline giving fans a unique perspective.
- Bullpen for each team with ample space for two pitchers to warm-up.
- Indoor facility down the left field line with three batting cages. The surface is the same as the infield, allowing pitchers and infielders to work out during inclement weather.
- Completed in time for the 2011 season is the team building. Located just behind the indoor facility, this building features a locker room, coaches' locker room and offices, umpire room, meeting rooms, video room and a training room.
- New outfield padding and new paint for the dugouts were added in the summer of 2015.
|Fast Facts about Shirley Clements Mewborn Field|
- Officially Dedicated: March 10, 2009
- First Game: Georgia Tech defeated UT Martin, 2-1
- First Batter: Tech pitcher Tiffany Johnson struck out UTM's Jenny Bain
- First Hit: Jenny Bain, UT Martin (top of the fourth inning)
- First Georgia Tech Hit: Jen Yee (bottom of the fourth inning)
- First Home Run: Jenny Bain, UT Martin (top of the fourth inning)
- First Georgia Tech Home Run: Kristen Adkins (bottom of the fifth inning)
- First Winning Pitcher: Tiffany Johnson, Georgia Tech
- Dimensions: 190 feet down the lines, 220 to dead center
- Capacity: 1,500 (586 chair-backs)
- Cost: $4.99 Million
- Drainage: The rain that falls on the grounds will be channeled into a 42,000-gallon underground cistern beyond right field. If full, the cistern can keep the field watered for two to three weeks without rain.
- Lighting System: Musco Sports Lighting System
- Admission: Free
- Parking: Free parking is available on a first-come, first served basis in the McCamish Pavilion lot, pending other Georgia Tech events.
10/20/2017 | Football
#TGW: Parks and Wreck-reation
Cody Hutchings has seen a lot of great things go down at Bobby Dodd Stadium.
10/20/2017 | M. Golf
#TGW: Final Exam
It says here that fall’s the best time of year and the weather is...
10/19/2017 | W. Basketball
Women’s Basketball Travels to #ACCMediaDay
Georgia Tech head coach MaChelle Joseph, senior forward Zaire O’Neil...
10/19/2017 | W. Volleyball
Volleyball Clashes with Syracuse, Boston College
After spending the first half of October on the road, Georgia Tech volleyball...
10/19/2017 | Football
Inside The Chart: Pleading The Third
KeShun Freeman is a captain, a four-year starter, an AFCA Good Works Team...
10/19/2017 | M. Golf
Georgia Tech Hosting Golf Club of Georgia Collegiate
Georgia Tech's golf team, ranked No. 4 in the nation after winning twice this...