No. 21 Baseball Capitalizes on Purdue Errors in 5-2 Win
Sophomore DH Trevor Craport goes 3-for-3 with solo home run
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech sophomore designated hitter Trevor Craport went 3-for-3 with a solo home run to lead the 21st-ranked Yellow Jackets to a 5-2 win Friday over Purdue at Russ Chandler Stadium.
Purdue – Harry Shipley SS, Cody Strong 2B, Jacson McGowan 3B, Kyle Wood 1B, Mike Kornacker DH, Jack Picchiotti C, Kyle Johnson CF, Nick Dalesandro LF, Alec Olund RF, Tanner Andrews P
• Georgia Tech improved to 22-1 in home openers under Danny Hall.
• Georgia Tech improved to 18-5 in season openers under Danny Hall.
• Georgia Tech is now 4-0 all-time vs. Purdue.
• Georgia Tech is 852-251-1 all-time at Russ Chandler Stadium (since 1985)
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Purdue took a 1-0 lead in the second inning after a two-base error by left fielder Keenan Innis.
• The Yellow Jackets responded in the third. With runners on the corners, Matt Gonzalez grounded into a 4-6-3 double play, which allowed Wade Bailey to score the tying run.
• Georgia Tech took its first lead in the fourth on Connor Justus’ RBI double to right centerfield to score Trevor Craport.
• Purdue tied the game at 2-2 in the sixth when Cody Strong scored a run on a 4-6-3 double play. • Craport put the Jackets up for good in the bottom of the sixth with a solo home run to left.
• Tech added two insurance runs in the eighth on a fielding error by Purdue third baseman Hayden Grant.
“I think any time you win to start off the year, that’s a plus. I feel like we played really well…I thought it was a well-played game. I was impressed with Brandon Gold, (and I was) impressed with Burton Dulaney for a freshman to come in, get the bases loaded, then get a double play, and get the next guy to ground out to end the inning was big for us.” – Georgia Tech head coach Danny Hall on the win
“I’ll take it. I’m never going to argue it. It’s something that you’ll never forget. It was great to have my family here for it. ” – Sophomore DH Trevor Craport on going 3-for-3 with a home run
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Georgia Tech starting pitcher Brandon Gold struck out a career-high eight batters in 5.0 innings. His previous career best was seven K’s vs. Savannah State in 2015.
• DH Trevor Craport, making his first career appearance in the Tech batting order, led the Jackets at the plate, going 3-for-3 with a solo home run. Craport did not have a plate appearance in 2015.
• SS Connor Justus went 2-for-3 with an RBI. It is Justus’ 28th multi-hit game of his career.
• CF Ryan Peurifoy went 2-for-5 – his 21st career multi-hit game.
• Freshman RHP Burton Dulaney notched his career-first victory, allowing two hits in three innings of scoreless relief.
• RHP Matthew Gorst picked up his second career save, striking out two batters in the ninth inning.
No. 21 Georgia Tech hosts Western Michigan at 2 p.m. Saturday at Russ Chandler Stadium. Fans can listen to the game live on WREK 91.1 FM or watch live streaming video on www.ramblinwreck.com.