No. 8 Miami Wins Series Opener, 3-0
The Yellow Jackets and Hurricanes continue the series Friday at 7 on ESPN3.
TECH STARTERS: Spingola/CF, Bailey/2B, Gonzalez/3B, Murray/RF, Johnson/DH, Smith/1B, Peurifoy//LF, Pabst/C, Justus/SS, King/Sp.
MIAMI STARTERS: Eusebio/CF, Barr/1B, Iskenderian/2B, Collins/DH, Thompson/3B, Kennedy/C, Abreu/RF, Lopez/SS, Heyward/LF, Woodrey/SP.
• No. 8 Miami won a pitchers' duel Thursday night at Mark Light Field in Coral Gables, beating Georgia Tech 3-0.
• Jonathan King limited the hot-hitting Hurricanes to just two runs and three hits over his seven innings, but was matched by a complete-game shutout from Thomas Woodrey.
• With the loss, Tech fell to 32-20 overall and 13-15 in the ACC, while Miami improved to 40-13, 20-8 with its 10 straight win.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• An RBI single from Christopher Barr put the Canes up 1-0 in the third and an RBI grounder from George Iskenderian made it 2-0 in the fifth.
• But Tech had no answer for Woodrey, who improved to 6-2 with Miami's first complete game of the season.
• Woodrey walked three, but fanned seven in the winning effort.
• An RBI double from Zack Collins tacked on insurance for Miami in the eighth.
• King would absorb the tough-luck loss (4-4) after allowing just three hits and two runs to Miami, which entered the game leading the nation in on-base percentage, ranked third in scoring and eighth in batting average.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
• Over King's last five starts (34.2 innings), he's allowed just seven runs (four earned) to lower his ERA to 3.24 this season.
• Tech limited Miami to its fewest runs since a 5-2 loss to Virginia on April 18 and its fewest runs at home since a 3-2 win over Duke on April 4.
• Matt Gonzalez had a two-out single for the Yellow Jackets in the first.
UP NEXT: The Yellow Jackets and Hurricanes continue their series Friday at 7 p.m. on ESPN3.