Baseball Falls at No. 8 Miami
The Yellow Jackets can clinch an ACC Tournament spot on Saturday
TECH STARTERS: Spingola/CF, Smith/1B, Gonzalez/3B, Murray/C, Peurifoy/RF, Bailey/2B, Gold/DH, Innis/LF, Justus/SS, Parr/SP.
MIAMI STARTERS: Eusebio/CF, Barr/1B, Iskenderian/2B, Collins/C, Thompson/3B, Kennedy/DH, Abreu/RF, Lopez/SS, Heyward/LF, Suarez/SP.
• No. 8 Miami clinched the weekend series at Mark Light Field in Coral Gables by beating Georgia Tech Friday night, 22-1.
• The Jackets remain alive for the 2015 ACC Tournament in Durham and will look to clinch a spot on Saturday.
• Tech is now 32-21 overall and 13-16 in the ACC, while Miami improved to 41-13, 21-8.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
• Miami struck for four in the first and made it 10- 0 after a six-run third inning.
• David Thompson hit the first of his two home runs in first -- a two-run shot to left. He followed with another two-run homer to left in the fifth.
• Tech cracked the scoreboard in the sixth thanks to an RBI from Thomas Smith, who scored Connor Justus after he led off the inning with a single to left.
• Andrew Suarez improved to 7-1, tossing six innings and scattering a run and four hits.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE:
• Keenan Innis finished 2-for-3 for the Yellow Jackets.
• Brandon Gold and Connor Justus also had hits for Tech.
• Thompson finished 4-for-6 with a pair of homers and nine RBI.
SCENARIOS FOR TECH TO CLINCH AN ACC TOURNAMENT SPOT ON SATURDAY:
• Georgia Tech can clinch a spot in the ACC Tournament by beating Miami Saturday.
• The Jackets can also clinch with either a loss by Wake Forest (at Duke) or Virginia Tech (at Pitt).
UP NEXT: The Yellow Jackets and Hurricanes end the regular season on Saturday in Coral Gables at 1 p.m. on ESPN3.