Four Jackets Named To All-ACC Baseball Teams
Gonzalez, Murray and Gold earned All-ACC honors, with Johnson on All-Freshman Team
DURHAM, N.C. - Georgia Tech's Matt Gonzalez, A.J. Murray and Brandon Gold have been named to the 2015 All-Atlantic Coast Conference Baseball Team, while Kel Johnson was named to the All-Freshman Team, as announced by Commissioner John Swofford on Monday.
Gonzalez, a junior third baseman from Acworth, Ga., earns his second-conseuctive All-ACC honor after a second-team nod in the outfield last season. Murray (DH/Utility), a senior from Westfield, N.J., and Gold (starting pitcher), a sophomore from Alpharetta, Ga., each garnered their first career ACC awards. Johnson, a freshman from Palmetto, Ga., led all ACC freshmen with 10 home runs.
It is the eighth consecutive year that three or more Yellow Jackets have earned All-ACC honors. In 22 seasons under head coach Danny Hall, Tech has earned 103 all-conference honors -- only Florida State has more in that time.
Georgia Tech, the defending ACC champion, opens play at the 2015 ACC Championship on Tuesday versus Virginia at 11 a.m. in Durham, N.C.
Matt Gonzalez, Junior, 3B, Acworth, Ga./Harrison
• Hit .289 overall and .300 in ACC play, with 13 doubles, five home runs and 42 RBI.
• 42 RBI were second on the team.
• Tied for the team lead with 10 stolen bases.
• Led the team with 20 multi-hit games.
• Three of four game-winning RBI came in conference wins over Notre Dame, Duke and Virginia Tech.
• One of three players to start all 54 games and has made a team-leading 120 consecutive starts dating back to freshman campaign.
A.J. Murray, Senior, DH/Utility, Westfield, N.J./Westfield
• Hit .283 overall with 16 doubles, 15 home runs, 51 RBI and 49 runs.
• Ranked second in the ACC in homers, with eight coming over the last 15 games.
• Ranks among the ACC's top 10 in doubles, homers, RBI and slugging (.590).
• Led the team with six game-winning RBI and tied for the team lead with six game-winning runs.
• The versatile senior captain has started all 54 games at either catcher, first base, right field or designated hitter.
Brandon Gold, Sophomore, Starting Pitcher, Alpharetta, Ga./Johns Creek
• Pitched for the first time in his college career this season and led Tech's starting pitchers in wins (7-3) and strikeouts (71).
• Tied for fifth in the ACC in wins and was eighth in the league in innings (85.2).
• Of his 12 starts, eight were "quality starts" (six or more innings, three or fewer runs).
• Was 5-0 in series rubber-games, with all five coming in ACC wins over Virginia, Clemson, Notre Dame, Virginia Tech and Duke.
Kel Johnson, Freshman, Outfielder, Palmetto, Ga./Home Schooled
• Hit .302 overall and a team-best .314 in ACC play, with nine doubles, 10 home runs and 34 RBI.
• Led all ACC freshmen with 10 homers.
• Was hitting .379 overall (.457 in ACC play) before missing 13 games with an ankle injury.
• Was named the ACC Player of the Week in February after a blistering opening weekend with eight hits, two homers and five RBI.
NOTES: Gonzalez becomes Tech's first repeat All-ACC honoree since Daniel Palka in 2012 and 2013... Gold is Tech's first All-ACC starting pitcher since Buck Farmer claimed three-straight honors in 2011, 2012 and 2013... Wake Forest's Will Craig was named the 2015 ACC Player of the Year, while Matthew Crownover from Clemson earned Pitcher of the Year honors... Brendan McKay from Louisville was the Rookie of the Year and the Cardinals' Dan McDonnell earned Coach of the Year honors.