THE FLATS - As the 2017 summer rolls into August, a number of Yellow Jackets have helped guide their respective teams to the playoffs while others will look to end the regular season on a high note with the summer league season draws to a close.
Micah Carpenter and Robert Winborne both helped pitch their Anchorage Bucs team to the Alaska Baseball Leauge playoffs, which start this week, while Paxton Rigby and the Altamonte Springs Scorpions will play in the Florida Collegiate Summer League playoffs this week.
Xzavion Curry, Jonathan Hughes, Jake Brace and Cameron Turley all so their summer seasons come to an end this past weekend, as the Brookhaven Bucs lost in the East Divisional Championships to the Atlanta Crackers.
Here is a complete list of where the Jackets are playing this summer:
Alaska Baseball League
- Micah Carpenter, Anchorage Bucs - Has pitched in 10games, starting five contests. He is 1-2 with two saves, a 4.98 ERA and 20 strikeouts over 30.2 innings pitched. He was named to the American All-Star Team for the 2017 Alaska Baseball League All-Star Game.
- Robert Winborne, Anchorage Bucs - Has appeared in 21 games out of the bullpen, recording two wins and four saves. He is 2-1 on the summer with four saves, a 1.24 ERA and 22 strikeouts over 21.2 innings on the mound. He was named to the American All-Star Team for the 2017 Alaska Baseball League All-Star Game.
Cape Cod Baseball League
- Joey Bart, Harwich Mariners - Stepped away from the Mariners to play with the USA Baseball team as part of their training camp roster with a chance to earn a spot on their Collegiate National Team. For the Mariners, he has played in eight games and is hitting .167 (5-for-30) with two doubles, a walk, an RBI and a run scored. He has also been hit by a pitch twice. He has not played since July 10, as he recovers from an injury.
Coastal Plain League
- Jake Lee, Holly Springs Salamanders - Has made five starts on the summer, which includes a complete game win. He is 2-1 with a 6.00 ERA and 26 strikeouts in 24.0 innings of action.
- Connor Thomas, Lexington County Blowfish - Has made seven starts on the mound and appeared in eight games overall for the Blowfish. The lefty is 2-3 with a 5.87 ERA. He has struck out 50 batters in 38.1 innings of work.
- Austin Wilhite, Lexington County Blowfish - Made his debut in early July for the Blowfish. Hitting .278 (15-for-54) with a a triple, four doubles, eight walks, 10 RBIs and seven runs scored in 16 games played. On July 3, he made the Sportscenter Top 10 with this play (click here).
Florida Collegiate Summer League
- Paxton Rigby, Altamonte Springs Scorpions - Has played in 31 games. He is hitting .194 (14-for-72) with two doubles, 20 walks, 11 RBIs and six runs scored.
- Andy Archer, Green Bay Bullfrogs - Has appeared in four games this summer, making three starts on the mound for the Bullfrogs. He is 0-1 with a 3.60 ERA and has struck out 11 batters in 15.0 innings of work.
- Garrett Gooden, Green Bay Bullfrogs - After pitching in three games out of the bullpen with the Lexington Blowfish, posting a 2.45 ERA and three strikeouts over 3.2 innings of relief work, he has moved on to play for the Bullfrogs. He has appeared in four games with two starts for Green Bay. Gooden is 0-1 with a 7.24 ERA while striking out nine batters over 13.2 innings of work for the Northwoods League team.
Sunbelt Baseball League
- Xzavion Curry, Brookhaven Bucks - He hit .226 (19-for-84) in 25 games with two home runs, one double, 11 walks, six RBIs and 10 runs scored on the summer. He struck out one over a scoreless inning on the mound for the Bucks. Was named to the Sunbelt Baseball League East All-Star team.
- Jonathan Hughes, Brookhaven Bucks - Made seven starts on the mound for the Bucks. He went 3-4 with a 6.51 ERA and registered 20 strikeouts in 29.0 innings of action.
- Kyle McCann, Norcross Astros - Played in 16 games for the Harrisonburg Turks before moving to the Norcross Astros in July. For the Astros, he hit .241 (7-for-29) with a home run, two doubles, four walks and three RBIs over nine games.
- Brenton Sanders, Purcellville Cannons - After 11 games with Harrisonburg Turks, he moved to the Purcellville Cannons where he hit .205 (8-for-39) with a double, five RBIs and four runs scored.
Sunbelt Baseball League
- Jake Brace, Brookhaven Bucks - He made seven starts on the summer, including one complete game. He lead the team with 42.1 innings pitched and went 3-3 with a 1.70 ERA on the summer, striking out 31 batters along the way. Was named to the Sunbelt Baseball League East All-Star team.
- Cameron Turley, Brookhaven Bucks - He played in 19 games, going 10-for-51 (.196) with five runs scored and five RBIs at the plate on the summer.