Georgia Tech 81, Sam Houston State 73
Nov. 22, 2016
- Georgia Tech starting lineup: Moore, Okogie, Heyward, Stephens, Lammers (1st time)
- First subs for Georgia Tech: Jackson for Okogie, Ogbonda for Lammers - 16:35 first half
- On the floor for Georgia Tech at the end: Heyward, Jackson, Lammers, Moore, Stephens
- Opening tap won by Georgia Tech. Georgia Tech has won the opening tap in three of four games this season.
- Series record vs. Sam Houston State: Georgia Tech is 1-0 overall, 1-0 at home, 1-0 at McCamish Pavilion, 1-0 under Josh Pastner, 1-0 vs. Jason Hooten
- Current series streak: Georgia Tech won the last game
- Georgia Tech is 3-1 at McCamish Pavilion this season, 46-27 in its fifth season in the building, 3-1 under Josh Pastner
- Georgia Tech’s next game: November 26, 2016, vs. Tulane, 7:30 p.m., McCamish Pavilion
- Tech led at the half for the fourth straight game, this time by its largest margin of the season (40-20).
- Tech held the Bearkats to 29.6-percent shooting from the floor in the first half, and has held the Jackets’ opponents under 40 percent in six of eight halves this season.
- Sam Houston State entered tonight’s game averaging 87 points per game and shooting 46.9 percent from the floor.
- Tech connected on a season-high six threes in 11 attempts against Sam Houston State, getting a pair of triples each from Tadric Jackson and Quinton Stephens. The Jackets had hit only 10 in their first three games (28.6 percent).
- Tech placed five players in double figures for the first time this season. Nine Yellow Jackets played in the game, seven of them scored.
- Tech blocked eight more shots against Sam Houston State and has 41 in four games (10.3 per game), which leads the ACC and the nation.
- Tech shot 52.9 percent from the floor in the game (including 60 percent in the second half), its second 50-percent game this season. The Yellow Jackets shot 56 percent in the opener and stands at 46.9 percent for the season.
- Tech was out-rebounded 35-31, and has been out-rebounded twice in four games this season.
- Tech turned the ball a season-high 16 times, 10 in the second half. Tech had just 12 second-half turnovers in its first three games.
- Tech’s 81 points was a season high, but its 73 points allowed also was a season high.
- Tech set season highs for free throws (21) and attempts (36).
- Tech scored 40 points in the paint, and has averaged 38.5 points per game there this season.
- Ben Lammers reached double figures in scoring for the fourth time in four games with 19 points (6-8 FG, 7-9 FT), and reached double digits before the under-4 media timeout in the first half for the second straight game. He had just two double-digit games in his career (10 points twice last year) before this season.
- Tadric Jackson reached double figures for the third straight game after missing the opener, scoring 15 points in just 19 minutes off the bench. It was the 14th double-digit scoring effort of his career. Jackson hit 5-for-5 from the floor in the game (2-for-2 on threes), and is 19-of-29 from the floor (6-of-7 on threes) in three games.
- Quinton Stephens scored in double figures (10 points) for the third time in four games and posted his second career double-double with 10 rebounds. He also had four steals and two assists. He had 13 points and 10 rebounds vs. IPFW as a freshman.
- Josh Okogie returned to double digits after scoring just five against Ohio, getting 16 against Sam Houston State. He scored 18 in each of his first two games as a collegian.
- Corey Heyward started for the first time this season (19th career), and notched the first double-figure scoring game of his career.
- Stephens also grabbed 10 rebounds to earn the second double-double of his career (13 and 10 vs. IPFW as a sophomore).
- Freshman point guard Justin Moore had six assists and has 14 in his last two games.