@GTMBB to Visit Penn State for ACC/Big Ten Challenge
Jackets and Nittany Lions to meet for third time in annual event on Nov. 29
THE FLATS - Following a year’s absence, Georgia Tech returns to the lineup for the 2016 ACC/Big Ten Challenge and will face Penn State on Nov. 29 in State College, Pa.
ESPN announced the full lineup of matchups for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge Tuesday in conjunction with the Atlantic Coast Conference and the Big Ten Conference. The 14 games will take place over a three-day period Nov. 28-30 and will be televised on the ESPN family of networks.
The meeting between the Yellow Jackets and Nittany Lions will be the third for the two teams in the annual inter-conference event, the fourth overall in the series, and will mark Tech’s first visit to State College. The teams have split the previous two games in the Challenge, and Penn State leads the overall series, 2-1.
All three previous meetings took place at Alexander Memorial Coliseum on the Tech campus, the first a 75-70 win for the Nittany Lions in the quarterfinal round of the post-season National Invitation Tournament in 1998. Tech captured a 77-73 win over Penn State in the 2006 ACC/Big Ten Challenge, and the Nittany Lions returned the favor with an 85-83 win over the Jackets in the 2008 Challenge.
TECH HISTORY IN THE ACC/BIG TEN CHALLENGE
• Georgia Tech has a 6-9 mark in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and has won two straight games in the series following its 66-58 win at Northwestern in 2014. The Jackets defeated Illinois, 67-64, in Atlanta in 2013.
• Penn State becomes the second “three-peat” for Tech in the series. The Yellow Jackets have played Northwestern three times in their last five ACC-Big Ten Challenge games. The Yellow Jackets have played Michigan and Illinois twice each, splitting the meetings with each.
• Tech has played seven “home” games in the series and has a 4-3 record in those contests. Four of the games were played at Alexander Memorial Coliseum, where Tech defeated Wisconsin (2001) and Michigan (2004) and went 1-1 against Penn State (2006, 2008). Two others were played at Philips Arena, an 80-77 loss to Michigan in the first Challenge game in 1999, and a 76-60 loss in 2011.
• The Yellow Jackets have a 2-6 mark in ACC-Big Ten Challenge games on the road. The Yellow Jackets’ only road win in the series occurred in 2003, a 73-53 win at Ohio State the year in which Tech reached the NCAA Championship game. Tech also has visited Iowa, Minnesota, Michigan State, Indiana and Northwestern (twice).
• Nebraska and Purdue are the only Big Ten teams the Yellow Jackets have not faced in the annual series.
ABOUT GEORGIA TECH MEN’S BASKETBALL
Georgia Tech’s men’s basketball team is in its first year under head coach Josh Pastner. Tech has been a member of the Atlantic Coast Conference since 1979, won three ACC Championships (1985, 1990, 1993), played in the NCAA Tournament 16 times and played in two Final Fours (1990, 2004). Connect with Georgia Tech Men’s Basketball on social media by liking their Facebook Page, or following on Twitter (@GTMBB).