THE FLATS -- Defensive back Malik Rivera (St. Johns, Fla./Bartram Trail) and long snapper Zach Roberts (Magnolia, Texas/Magnolia) have joined Georgia Tech's football program as graduate transfers, head coach Paul Johnson announced on Tuesday.
Rivera and Roberts come to The Flats from Wofford and Lamar, respectively, where they both earned bachelor's degrees. As graduate transfers, they will be able to immediately participate in games with the Yellow Jackets in 2018 and each have one season of athletic eligibility remaining.
Rivera (5-11, 200) started all 13 games at free safety for Wofford last season and ranked third on the team in tackles (74) and second in pass breakups (4), helping lead the Terriers to a 10-3 overall record, the outright Southern Conference title (7-1) and a berth in the NCAA Division I FCS quarterfinals, where they fell to eventual national champion North Dakota State. In 28 games over three seasons, he amassed 142 tackles. His position coach for each of the past two seasons was Shiel Wood, who now serves as the safeties coach at Georgia Tech.
Rivera was a four-time member of the SoCon academic honor roll and two-time academic all-SoCon selection as a triple-major in mathematics, finance and computer science. He will pursue a master's degree in quantitative and computational finance at Georgia Tech.
Roberts (6-1, 216) served as Lamar's starting long snapper for each of the past two seasons after being a backup as redshirt freshman. He was a three-time member of the Southland Conference commissioner's academic honor roll and will pursue a master's degree in building construction and facilities management at Georgia Tech.
"Malik and Zach are great fits for Georgia Tech," Johnson said. "On the field, they both fulfill current needs on our football team. Off the field, they're outstanding students and great teammates. We're excited to have them join our football family."
Rivera, Roberts and the Yellow Jackets kick off the 2018 campaign on Sept. 1 when they host Alcorn State at Bobby Dodd Stadium. 2018 Georgia Tech football season tickets are on sale now. Season-ticket holders are guaranteed the best seats for all six games at Bobby Dodd Stadium this season -- including pivotal matchups versus defending Atlantic Coast Conference division champions Clemson (Sept. 22) and Miami (Nov. 10). Other exclusive benefits for season-ticket holders include:
- an exclusive Tech Gold adidas performance t-shirt -- one for every ticket purchased, all adult sizes available (a $40 value per ticket);
- a 20-percent discount at selected concession stands throughout Bobby Dodd Stadium;
- a 25-percent discount at Georgia Tech Bookstore locations at the stadium;
- a one-time discount on purchases at adidas.com;
- a limited-edition Georgia Tech water bottle (one per account);
- an official Georgia Tech clear bag;
- complimentary guest tickets to one non-conference game;
- Alexander-Tharpe Fund priority points;
- free Buzz Memories credits;
- priority entry to 2018 Fan Day in August;
- priority to purchase away game tickets.
To purchase season tickets, click HERE or call the Georgia Tech athletics ticket office at 888-TECH-TIX.