@GT_MTEN Cruises Past Presbyterian
Eubanks impressive in victory
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech men’s tennis team improved to 2-0 on the 2016 season as they defeated Presbyterian College by a score of 6-1. The Jackets won earlier in the day against East Tennessee State, 4-3.
The Jackets were dominant from the get-go, earning three quick victories to claim the doubles point. Elijah Melendez and Daniel Yun earned a quick 6-2 victory to get things going for Tech. Not long after, 36th-ranked Michael and Casey Kay dispatched Presbyterian’s Ben Kelley and Joel Roberts, followed merely seconds later by a victory for Chris Eubanks and Carlos Benito.
The Jackets took the first five singles points to bring their point total to six, and the match ended at 6-1 on a retirement that gave Presbyterian the final point.
Combined in the two matches against East Tennessee State and Presbyterian, Chris Eubanks won all four of the matchups in which he participated. Eubanks is ranked as the No. 6 player in the country.
“Presbyterian’s good – we couldn’t take them lightly,” head coach Kenny Thorne said. “Playing a match earlier in the day, we were ready to go, and I think it kind of helped us. It took them a while to settle in, and I think we jumped on them pretty quickly. But they’re a good team. It was a good win for us. Going into the weekend, we’ll have a couple of matches under our belts and hopefully we’ll be ready to go.”
#43 Georgia Tech 6, Presbyterian 1
1. #6 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Danny Bruce (PRES) 6-0, 6-3
2. Alexander Lykou (PRES) def. Carlos Benito (GT) 3-6, 5-4, retired
3. Michael Kay (GT) def. Alejandro Bejar (PRES) 6-1, 4-6, 1-0 (10-8)
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Diego Manzanas (PRES) 6-1, 6-1
5. Andrew Li (GT) def. Brandon Mills (PRES) 6-0, 6-3
6. Casey Kay (GT) def. Ben Kelley (PRES) 6-4, 6-2
1. Michael Kay/Casey Kay (GT) def. Ben Kelley/Joel Roberts (PRES) 6-4
2. Christopher Eubanks/Carlos Benito (GT) def. Brandon Mills/Danny Bruce (PRES) 6-3
3. Elijah Melendez/Daniel Yun (GT) def. Diego Manzanas/Alexander Lykou (PRES) 6-2
Georgia Tech 2-0; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,4,5,6,3,2) T-1:55
ABOUT GEORGIA TECH MEN’S TENNIS
Georgia Tech’s men’s tennis team is in its 18th year under head coach Kenny Thorne. The Yellow Jackets have played in the NCAA Championship 15 times. Connect with Georgia Tech Men’s Tennis on social media by liking their Facebook page, or following on Twitter (@GT_MTEN). For more information on Tech men’s tennis, visit Ramblinwreck.com.