Jackets Down USC-Upstate, 6-1
Jan. 17, 2010
ATLANTA - Georgia Tech overcame the absence of its best player and losing the doubles point and defeated USC-Upstate, 6-1, Sunday afternoon in the first match of a double-header at the Bill Moore Tennis Center. The Yellow Jackets are to play Georgia Southern at 3 p.m.
The 43rd-ranked Yellow Jackets improved to 2-0 by winning the first four singles matches against the No. 72 Spartans, getting straight-set victories from freshman Juan Spir at No. 1, Dean O'Brien at No. 3 and Dusan Miljevic at No. 4.
Spir, a first-year player from Medellin, Colombia, moved up from No. 2 in the lineup after All-American Guillermo Gomez sprained an ankle in Friday's season opener, and downed Renzo Airaldo, 6-3, 7-5.
O'Brien took out Javier Tori, 6-3, 6-4, at No. 3, and Eliot Potvin rallied to beat Edgar Rodriguez, 3-6, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 2 before Miljevic clinched the match with a 6-1, 7-5 triumph over Marco Linconin. Miljevic improved to 10-2 in singles on the year.
Upstate took the doubles point with two tight wins. Linconin and Jack Roux edged Potvin and O'Brien, 9-8, at No. 1, while Rodriguez and Ramiro Blanco slipped past Miljevic and Ryan Smith by the same score at No. 3.
Tennis Match Results
USC Upstate vs Georgia Tech
Jan. 17, 2010 at Altanta, Ga.
#43 Georgia Tech 6, #72 USC Upstate 1
1. Juan Spir (GT) def. Renzo Airaldi (UPSTM) 6-3, 7-5
2. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Edgar Rodriguez (UPSTM) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Dean O'Brien (GT) def. Javier Tori (UPSTM) 6-3, 6-4
4. Dusan Miljevic (GT) def. Marco Linconin (UPSTM) 6-1, 7-5
5. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Jack Roux (UPSTM) 7-6, 6-3
6. Ryan Smith (GT) def. Ramiro Blanco (UPSTM) 1-6, 7-6, 1-0 (12-10)
1. Marco Linconin/Jack Roux (UPSTM) def. Eliot Potvin/Dean O'Brien (GT) 9-8
2. Miguel Muguruza/Juan Spir (GT) def. Renzo Airaldi/Javier Tori (UPSTM) 8-5
3. Edgar Rodriguez/Ramiro Blanco (UPSTM) def. Dusan Miljevic/Ryan Smith (GT) 9-8 (7-1)
USC Upstate 0-1; National ranking #72
Georgia Tech 2-0; National ranking #43
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (1,3,2,4,5,6)
Match played Indoors