Tech Downs Georgia Southern for Sunday Sweep
No. 43 Yellow Jackets topple Eagles, 5-2
Jan. 17, 2010
ATLANTA - Georgia Tech easily won the doubles point, and Eliot Potvin, Dean O'Brien and Miguel Muguruza captured straight-set matches in singles to clinch the match as 43rd-ranked Georgia Tech completed a Sunday tennis sweep with a 5-2 win over Georgia Southern at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The Yellow Jackets, who scored a 6-1 win over No. 72 USC-Upstate earlier in the day, improved to 3-0 and host Wofford at 2 p.m. Wednesday.
"Eleven and a half hours of tennis today, which is what we needed in our schedule," said head coach Kenny Thorne. "We had a tough match in the morning, and to get our legs back under us for another long match was good. Most of our guys did well with that."
Tech made quick work of the Eagles in doubles, sweeping all three matches to win the point. Dusan Miljevic and Ryan Smith clinched the point with an 8-4 win at No. 3 after Miguel Muguruza and Juan Spir scored an 8-1 win at No. 2.
While Spir struggled through a three-set loss at No. 1 singles, Potvin breezed past Justin Flynn without losing a game at No. 2, and O'Brien was nearly as quick with a 6-0, 6-1 win over Gregory Bekkers at No. 3. Muguruza closed out the match at No. 5 with a 6-2, 6-3 win against Alain Garrido.
All three Tech players were 2-0 on the day, having won their singles matches against USC-Upstate. Spir lost to Jayraj Jadeja, 7-5, 5-7, 6-4, in a match that took more than two hours and lasted longer than the two straight-set Tech wins on the adjacent court.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Southern vs Georgia Tech
Jan. 17, 2010 at Atlanta, Ga.
#43 Georgia Tech 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Jayraj Jadeja (GSO) def. Juan Spir (GT) 7-5, 5-7, 6-4
2. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Justin Flynn (GSO) 6-0, 6-0
3. Dean O'Brien (GT) def. Gregory Bekkers (GSO) 6-0, 6-1
4. J. Melian-Puigventos (GSO) def. #112 Dusan Miljevic (GT) 6-0, 6-3
5. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Alain Garrido (GSO) 6-2, 6-3
6. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Matthjis Verdam (GSO) 6-2, 5-7, 1-0 (10-3)
1. Dean O'Brien/Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Jayraj Jadeja/Justin Flynn (GSO) 8-5
2. Miguel Muguruza/Juan Spir (GT) def. Gregory Bekkers/Matthjis Verdam (GSO) 8-1
3. Dusan Miljevic/Ryan Smith (GT) def. J. Melian-Puigventos/Alain Garrido (GSO) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (2,3,5,4,1,6)
Match played indoors