Jackets Outlast Oklahoma State, 4-2
Jan. 30, 2011
Athens, Ga. - Guillermo Gomez and Dean O'Brien remained undefeated in doubles, and Gomez got back on the winning track with a victory at No. 1 singles Sunday to lift 23rd-ranked Georgia Tech past No. 55 Oklahoma State, 4-2, in the ITA National Kick-Off Weekend at the Lindsay Hopkins Indoor Courts.
The Yellow Jackets improved to 3-1, all against ranked opposition, while the Cowboys fell to 0-3. Tech returns to action next Saturday with a home-court match against No. 40 Mississippi State.
Sophomore Magin Ortiga clinched the match for Tech at No. 5 singles when Oklahoma State's Eric West fell ill and retired with Ortiga leading 5-3 in the first set.
Gomez and O'Brien got the Jackets started with an 8-2 win over the Cowboys' Eric West and Tomas Patino at No. 3, improving their spring record to 4-0. That win coupled with a victory at No. 2 by Eliot Potvin and Ryan Smith gave Tech the doubles point.
Gomez, ranked 12th in the nation, also got Tech its first point in singles with a 6-2, 6-2 win over Maniel Bains at No. 1 singles. It was the senior All-American's 99th career singles victory and improved his record this year to 14-4.
After Vladyslav Bondarenko got by 48th-ranked Juan Spir in a three-set match at No. 2, Kevin King gave the Jackets a 3-1 lead in the match with a three-set win over Aleksey Bessonov at No. 4. The Cowboys trimmed the margin to 3-2 when No. 3 player Rifat Biktyakov rallied to defeat Tech's Potvin in three sets.
Tennis Match Results
Oklahoma State vs Georgia Tech
Jan 30, 2011 at Athens, Ga.
#23 Georgia Tech 4, #55 Oklahoma State 2
1. #12 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. Maniel Bains (OKST) 6-2, 6-2
2. Vladyslav Bondarenko (OKST) def. #48 Juan Spir (GT) 3-6, 6-2, 6-2
3. Rifat Biktyakov (OKST) def. Eliot Potvin (GT) 6-1, 1-6, 7-6
4. Kevin King (GT) def. Aleksey Bessonov (OKST) 2-6, 6-2, 6-3
5. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Eric West (OKST) 5-3, West retired
6. Ilija Martinoski (OKST) def. #93 Dusan Miljevic (GT) 3-2, unfinished
1. #8 Kevin King/Juan Spir (GT) vs. #9 Aleksey Bessonov/Rifat Biktyakov (OKST) 6-5, unfinished
2. Eliot Potvin/Ryan Smith (GT) def. Maniel Bains/Vladyslav Bondarenko (OKST) 8-5
3. Guillermo Gomez/Dean O'Brien (GT) def. Eric West/Tomas Patino (OKST) 8-2
Oklahoma State 0-3; National ranking #55
Georgia Tech 3-1; National ranking #23
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2); Singles (1,2,4,3,5)