Tech Falls to Georgia, 5-2, in Men's Tennis
Feb. 7, 2010
Athens, Ga. - Guillermo Gomez captured a straight-set victory at No. 1 singles, but 41st-ranked Georgia Tech dropped three hard-fought doubles matches and three in singles before that and fell, 5-2, to No. 7 Georgia Sunday at the Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility.
The Yellow Jackets (6-2) lost their second straight match of the dual season, while the Bulldogs (4-0) won their 65th consecutive homecourt match and 24th in a row in the Tech-Georgia series.
Gomez, an All-American ranked No. 4 in the nation, got past Georgia's Javier Garrapiz, ranked 45th in the nation, 6-4, 7-6, to improve his singles record this year to 17-3 (4-1 in dual matches).
Before he could get the Yellow Jackets on the board, however, the Bulldogs captured the doubles point by winning all three matches, clinching the point when Bo Seal and Christian Vitulli outlasted Tech freshmen Juan Spir and Magin Ortiga, 8-6, at No. 3.
Georgia went on to win singles matches at No. 2, 3 and 4 and clinch the match. Nate Schnugg defeated Spir, 6-4, 6-3, at No. 2; Jamie Hunt downed Dean O'Brien, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 3, and 60th-ranked Drake Bernstein took a 7-6, 6-2 win over Eliot Potvin at No. 4.
Ortiga finished off Seal in a superset tiebreaker, 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (??) for the Jackets' second point at No. 5 singles, and Vitulli got past 112th-ranked Dusan Miljevic, 7-5, 6-3, at No. 6.
Tech is off until Feb. 17, when it hosts Auburn at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Georgia
Feb 07, 2010 at Athens, Ga.
(Lindsey Hopkins Indoor Facility)
#7 Georgia 5, #41 Georgia Tech 2
1. #4 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. #45 Javier Garrapiz (UGA) 6-4, 7-6 (7-1)
2. Nate Schnugg (UGA) def. Juan Spir (GT) 6-4, 6-3
3. Jamie Hunt (UGA) def. Dean O'Brien (GT) 6-2, 6-3
4. #60 Drake Bernstein (UGA) def. Eliot Potvin (GT) 7-6, 6-2 (7-0)
5. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Bo Seal (UGA) 6-2, 3-6, 1-0 (10-8)
6. Christian Vitulli (UGA) def. #112 Dusan Miljevic (GT) 7-5, 6-3
1. Nate Schnugg/Jamie Hunt (UGA) def. Miguel Muguruza/Ryan Smith (GT) 8-2
2. Drake Bernstein/Javier Garrapiz (UGA) def. Dean O'Brien/Eliot Potvin (GT) 8-6
3. Bo Seal/Christian Vitulli (UGA) def. Juan Spir/Magin Ortiga (GT) 8-5
Georgia Tech 6-2; National ranking #41
Georgia 4-0; National ranking #7
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,4,1,5,6)
Official: Walt Williams T-4:18 A-409