ORLANDO, Fla. – Georgia Tech men’s tennis dropped a hard-fought 4-0 match in the USTA College MatchDay series to No. 4 Georgia on Friday evening at the USTA National Campus.
Unfortunately for Tech, UGA was able to capture the doubles point after all, as Alex Diaz and Paul Oosterbaan defeated Phillip Gresk and Andrew Li before Walker Duncan and Wayne Montgomery downed Elijah Melendez and Daniel Yun, 6-2.
In the singles competition, D. Yun fell at the No. 6 to Robert Loeb, 6-3, 6-1, before No. 39 Divar dropped a tough match to No. 17 Wayne Montgomery, 6-1, 6-2, at the No. 1 position.
No. 26 Zielinski then defeated C. Yun, 6-1, 6-3, at the No. 5 spot to clinch the match for Georgia.
Going unfinished, Li held a one-set advantage over No. 45 Nathan Ponwith, 6-2, but was trailing 5-2 in the second set. Melendez dropped a tough first set to No. 31 Emil Reinberg, 5-4, but had held serve to 4-3 before play was suspended. Gresk also dropped the first set of his matchup with No. 14 Walker Duncan (6-3), but led 5-4 at the clinch.
Georgia Tech will jump right into ACC action next as it plays host to Clemson on Feb. 16 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. First serve is scheduled for 5 p.m.
No. 4 Georgia 4, Georgia Tech 0
1. #17 Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. #39 Carlos Divar (GT) 6-1, 6-2
2. Andrew Li (GT) vs. #45 Nathan Ponwith (UGA) 6-2, 2-5, unfinished
3. Elijah Melendez (GT) vs. #31 Emil Reinberg (UGA) 4-6, 4-3, unfinished
4. Phillip Gresk (GT) vs. #14 Walker Duncan (UGA) 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
5. #26 Jan Zielinski (UGA) def. Chris Yun (GT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Robert Loeb (UGA) def. Daniel Yun (GT) 6-3, 6-1
1. Carlos Divar/Michael Kay (GT) def. #8 Robert Loeb/Jan Zielinski (UGA) 6-0
2. Walker Duncan/Wayne Montgomery (UGA) def. Elijah Melendez/Daniel Yun 6-2
3. Alex Diaz/Paul Oosterbaan (UGA) def. Phillip Gresk/Andrew Li (GT) 6-2