Tech Men Drop William & Mary, 4-1
Jackets reel off four consecutive singles wins after dropping the doubles point
March 7, 2013
THE FLATS - Eduardo Segura downed Ben Hoogland in straight sets Thursday for the clinching point, and Georgia Tech won four straight singles matches after losing the doubles point to defeat William & Mary, 4-1, Thursday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis complex.
Tech improved to 7-6 this spring and looks ahead to the beginning of Atlantic Coast Conference play at home March 15 against Florida State. The Tribe, in the midst of a spring break trip which has included losses to top-20 teams Georgia and Clemson, fell to 6-9.
"We didn't start well, but we finished well," said Tech head coach Kenny Thorne. "We've played good doubles most of the season, but give them credit. They outplayed us in doubles. It put pressure on our singles, and that's something we need to pick up."
Segura won for the fifth time in seven matches to improve to 7-5 in dual matches this spring, defeating Hoogland, 6-3, 7-6 (8-3) on court 3 for Tech's fourth singles point. Freshman Anish Sharma got the ball rolling for the Yellow Jackets by blowing past John Banks, 6-2, 6-0, on court 5. Senior Juan Melian continued his hot streak, winning his sixth match in seven without a loss by defeating Aaron Chaffee, 6-3, 6-3, at No. 2.
Sophomore Colin Edwards downed Scott Huang, 6-1, 7-5, on court 6 to set the stage for Segura's clinching point.
"I'm really proud of Anish and Colin on court 5 and 6 to win and be the catalyst for us in singles," added Thorne. "I didn't like the situation we were in, but it probably was good for us, and I like the way we finished."
The Tribe broke on top by winning the doubles point without much trouble. The No. 1 team of Andersson and Chaffee defeated Spir and Segura, 8-4, while the No. 3 tandem of Vodislav and Hoogland easily defeated Edwards and Garrett Gordon, 8-2.
#62 Georgia Tech 4, William & Mary 1
Mar 7, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
1. #53 Juan Spir (GT) vs. Anton Andersson (WM) 4-6, 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
2. Juan Melian (GT) def. Aaron Chaffee (WM) 6-3, 6-3
3. Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Ben Hoogland (WM) 6-3, 7-6 (8-3)
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) vs. Adrian Vodislav (WM) 6-3, 6-6, unfinished
5. Anish Sharma (GT) def. John Banks (WM) 6-2, 6-0
6. Colin Edwards (GT) def. Scott Huang (WM) 6-1, 7-5
1. Anton Andersson/Aaron Chaffee (WM) def. Juan Spir/Eduardo Segura (GT) 8-4
2. Nathan Rakitt/Juan Melian (GT) vs. John Banks/Scott Huang (WM) 6-4, unfinished
3. Adrian Vodislav/Ben Hoogland (WM) def. Colin Edwards/Garrett Gordon (GT) 8-2
William & Mary 6-8
Georgia Tech 6-6; National ranking #62
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1); Singles (5,2,6,3)