No. 16 Jackets Top Illinois State 6-1
March 10, 2011
Atlanta - Georgia Tech won five of six singles matches and completed its home stand Thursday with a hard-fought, rain-interrupted 6-1 win over the Illinois State Redbirds at the Bill Moore Tennis Center.
The 16th-ranked Yellow Jackets improved to 10-1 this season after rain interrupted doubles competition early on, and the teams were forced to move indoors. The Redbirds fell to 7-5.
"I just want to give credit to Illinois State," said Head Coach Kenny Thorne. "They pushed us in every match in doubles and singles. They fought their way back. It was just a hard-fought win today, and we're looking forward to heading down to Miami now."
The Jackets started off hot in doubles competition as the 15th ranked tandem of Juan Spir and Kevin King took an early 4-1 lead over the Illinois State team of Timon Reichelt and Alexander Pelaez. The pair would win 8-3 to advance their overall record to 23-6.
Senior Guillermo Gomez got the Jackets off to a quick start in singles play with a 6-1, 6-4 win at the number two spot. The Jackets went up 3-0 after junior Kevin King defeated Filip Miljevic, brother of Tech's Dusan Miljevic, in three sets 7-6, 3-6, 6-1.
Illinois State's Alexander Palaez put up a hard-fought 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 7-6 (7-3) win over sophomore Juan Spir at the top spot in the lineup to bring the Redbirds within 3-1. but Georgia Tech clinched the win with senior Eliot Potvin's 6-3, 6-4 win at the No. 4 spot over Tuomas Manner.
The Yellow Jackets will return to ACC competition with a visit to the #32 Miami Hurricanes on Sunday, March 13 at 2 p.m.
Match Results #16 Georgia Tech vs. Illinois State March 10, 2011 #16 Georgia Tech 6, Illinois State 1
1. Alexander Pelaez (ISU) def. #50 Juan Spir (GT) 7-6 (8-6), 4-6, 7-6 (3-7)
2. #16 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. Timon Reichelt (ISU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Kevin King (GT) def. Filip Miljevic (ISU) 7-6 (8-6), 3-6, 6-1
4. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Tuomas Manner (ISU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Matej Zlatkovic (ISU) 6-3, 7-6 (10-8)
6. Dusan Miljevic (GT) def. Skip Span (ISU) 6-3, 7-6 (7-0)
1. #15 Juan Spir/Kevin King (GT) def. Timon Reichelt/Alexander Pelaez (ISU) 8-3
2. Eliot Potvin/Ryan Smith (GT) def. Matej Zlatkovic/Tuomas Manner (ISU) 8-7 (7-5)
3. Guillermo Gomez/Dean O'Brien (GT) def. Filip Miljevic/Mya Smith-Dennis (ISU) 8-5
Illinois State 7-4
Georgia Tech 9-1; National ranking #16
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (2,3,1,4,5,6)
Match indoors on 3 courts