Miami Squeaks by Tech, 4-3
Flores tops Melian in three sets for clinching point at No. 1
March 17, 2013
Coral Gables, Fla. - Juan Spir and Nathan Rakitt won singles matches for Georgia Tech, and the Yellow Jackets won the doubles point, but Miami prevailed, 4-3, over Tech on Sunday in an Atlantic Coast Conference men's tennis match at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center.
Tech, ranked No. 63 in the latest Intercollegiate Tennis Association rankings, fell to 0-2 in the ACC and 7-8 overall, while the No. 70 Hurricanes improved to 10-5 overall and evened their conference record at 1-1.
Gabriel Flores captured the deciding point for Miami on court 1, defeating Juan Melian in three sets, 4-6, 6-1, 6-1, after Tech had rallied from a 3-1 deficit to tie the match.
Rakitt and Melian gave the Yellow Jackets the early lead by outlasting Wilfredo Gonzalez and Omar Aly, 9-8, to win at No. 1 doubles, giving Tech the doubles point. Spir and Eduardo Segura got by Diego Soto and Flores at No. 2, 8-5.
But Miami reeled off three straight singles wins, all in straight sets, to take control of the match. Gonzalez got a win over Segura, 6-4, 6-2, on court 3 to get the Hurricanes started. William Albanese followed with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Tech freshman Garrett Gordon at No. 6, and Marco Stancati defeated freshman Anish Sharma, 6-2, 6-4, on court 5.
Spir helped rally the Yellow Jackets with a three-set win at No. 2 over Diego Soto, and Rakitt downed Aly, 6-4, 6-4, on court 4 to tie the match at 3-3.
Tech returns to action next weekend with a pair of home matches against No. 24 Wake Forest Friday and No. 44 NC State Sunday.
#70 Miami 4, #63 Georgia Tech 3
Mar 17, 2013 at Coral Gables, Fla. (Neil Schiff Tennis Center)
1. Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Juan Melian (GT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Juan Spir (GT) def. Diego Soto (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-2
3. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Omar Aly (UM) 6-4, 6-4
5. Marco Stancati (UM) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 6-2, 6-4
6. William Albanese (UM) def. Garrett Gordon (GT) 6-4, 6-2
1. Juan Melian/Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Wilfredo Gonzalez/Omar Aly (UM) 9-8
2. Juan Spir/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Diego Soto/Gabriel Flores (UM) 8-5
3. Marco Stancati/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Colin Edwards/Anish Sharma (GT) 8-0
Georgia Tech 7-8, 0-2; National ranking #63
Miami 10-5, 1-1; National ranking #70
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (3,6,5,2,4,1)