Wake Forest Cruises by Tech, 6-1
Juan Melian records Yellow Jackets' only point at No. 1 singles
March 22, 2013
THE FLATS - Georgia Tech senior Juan Melian continued his hot streak with a victory at the top singles position Friday, but it was the only point the Yellow Jackets could muster in a 6-1 loss to 28th-ranked Wake Forest at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex.
The Demon Deacons improved to 13-5 overall, 2-1 in the Atlantic Coast Conference, while the 74th-ranked Yellow Jackets fell to 7-9 overall and remained winless in the ACC after 3 dual matches.
Tech lost the doubles point after Tech's Nathan Rakitt and Juan Melian fell 8-3 to Amogh Prabhakar and David Hopkins at the No. 2 spot, and the Jackets' Garrett Gordon and Colin Edwards lost by the same score to the Deacons' Jon Ho and Sam Bloom at no 3.
Wake carried that momentum into singles with straight-set victories in courts 5, 3 and 6. Jon Ho defeated Tec h freshmen Anish Sharma, 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1, while Kreyman downed Segura, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 3, and Sam Bloom got the clinching point for the Deacs in a 7-5, 7-6 win over freshman Garrett Gordon.
Melian then defeated the Deacons' David Hopkins 7-6, 6-2 at No. 1, winning for the eighth time in his last 10 matches to improve to 18-10, 9-4 this spring.
Tech returns to action Sunday when they take on the NC State Wolfpack at noon.
#28 Wake Forest 6, #74 Georgia Tech 1
Mar 22, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
1. Juan Melian (GT) def. David Hopkins (WF) 7-6, 6-2
2. #56 Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. #84 Juan Spir (GT) 6-2, 3-6, 7-6
3. Danny Kreyman (WF) def. Eduardo Segura (GT) 6-4, 6-2
4. Adam Lee (WF) def. Nathan Rakitt (GT) 7-6, 7-6
5. Jon Ho (WF) def. Anish Sharma (GT) 6-2, 6-1
6. Sam Bloom (WF) def. Garrett Gordon (GT) 7-5, 7-6
1. Juan Spir/Eduardo Segura (GT) def. Danny Kreyman/Adam Lee (WF) 8-4
2. David Hopkins/Amogh Prabhakar (WF) def. Nathan Rakitt/Juan Melian (GT) 8-3
3. Jon Ho/Sam Bloom (WF) def. Garrett Gordon/Colin Edwards (GT) 8-3
Wake Forest 13-5, 2-1; National ranking #28
Georgia Tech 7-9, 0-3; National ranking #74
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (5,3,6,1,4,2)