Tech Wins Fourth Straight, 7-0 Over Boston College
April 2, 2011
Weymouth, Mass. - Georgia Tech's men's tennis team continued its torrid pace, winning every singles and doubles match to produce its fourth consecutive victory, defeating Boston College, 7-0, in Atlantic Coast Conference match Friday.
The 19th-ranked Yellow Jackets, 14-2 overall and 4-1 in the ACC, have surrendered only two points in their last four matches and have lost only two doubles matches. The Eagles are 4-11, 0-6 in the ACC.
"We showed some good poise and competitive maturity. Singles started well for us," said head coach Kenny Thorne. "Boston College competed well and matched us, but our guys made some good adjustments and were able to finish well. We are competing well on the road. I like our attitudes."
Guillermo Gomez and Kevin King extended their current individual winning streaks to eight matches with victories at No. 1 and 3 singles, respectively. Gomez defeated Akash Muppidi, 6-3, 6-4, while King easily got past Erik Kreutzer, 6-0, 6-3.
Eliot Potvin win his fourth straight match at No. 4 with a 6-3, 6-4 win over Jonathan Schroeder, and Juan Spir, who had dropped his last two singles matches at No. 2, got back on track Friday with a 6-4, 6-1 win over Alex Skinner.
Spir and King, the nation's 14th-ranked doubles tandem, got things rolling for the Jackets with an 8-4 victory against Muppidi and Grokenberger at No. 1.
"The plan was to jump on them early in doubles and keep constant pressure on them," said Thorne. "We had opportunities to break right away in all three matches and played well but didn't convert the break points. We then went down breaks in two of the three matches. However, we didn't miss a beat and kept aggressive in each of the doubles matches."
Tech returns to action Sunday with a 12 noon match at Maryland.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Tech vs Boston College
Apr 01, 2011 at Weymouth, Mass.
#19 Georgia Tech 7, Boston College 0
1. Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. Akash Muppidi (BC) 6-3, 6-4
2. Juan Spir (GT) def. Alex Skinner (BC) 6-4, 6-1
3. Kevin King (GT) def. Erik Kreutzer (BC) 6-0, 6-3
4. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Jonathan Schroeder (BC) 6-3, 6-4
5. Magin Ortiga (GT) def. Billy Grokenberger (BC) 7-6 (7-4), 6-0
6. Dean O'Brien (GT) def. Brendon Wong (BC) 6-4, 6-2
1. #14 Juan Spir/Kevin King (GT) def, Akash Muppidi/Billy Grokenberger (BC) 8-4
2. Eliot Potvin/Ryan Smith (GT) def. Michael McGinnis/Alex Skinner (BC) 8-6
3. Guillermo Gomez/Dean O'Brien (GT) def. Adam Davison/Erik Kreutzer (BC) 8-6
Georgia Tech 14-2, 4-1 ACC; National ranking #19
Boston College 4-11, 0-6 ACC