@GT_MTEN Cruises Past Miami
No. 11 Eubanks defeats No. 38 Lomacki
THE FLATS – The No. 31 Georgia Tech men’s tennis team earned a big win Friday night over the No. 67 Miami Hurricanes, defeating their conference foe by a score of 5-2. The Jackets improved to 13-5 overall and 6-2 in ACC play.
The Jackets began the afternoon by taking the doubles point, receiving a win from the pairing of Carlos Benito and Chris Eubanks, followed by a win from the pairing of Nathan Rakitt and Daniel Yun. Tech quickly received singles wins from Rakitt and Michael Kay before Eubanks’ third-set tiebreak win over No. 38 Piotr Lomacki clinched the match.
“Miami’s a good team,” head coach Kenny Thorne said. “I’ve said coming in that they beat FSU, they’ve beat some good teams. They fight hard, so there was no preconceived notion that it was going to be an easy match.”
“We did a great job in doubles,” Thorne said. “Miami has upset some teams in doubles, and I felt like – all the way through – we did a good job of staying in there and doing what we needed to do to get the doubles point. In singles, I felt like it got really close – they took a few of the first sets. But what I liked about the match is that I felt like - in any one match - we were never out of the fight. When you have people battling back in matches after they lose a set, it just shows that they’re composed and they aren’t panicking when things aren’t going well.”
Georgia Tech returns to the court on Sunday at 12 p.m. when they will face Boston College.
Tennis Match Results
Miami vs Georgia Tech
Apr 01, 2016 at Atlanta, Ga. (Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
Georgia Tech 5, Miami 2
1. #11 Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. #38 Piotr Lomacki (UM) 3-6, 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
2. Carlos Benito (GT) def. Max Andrews (UM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-3
3. Jesse Flores (UM) def. Daniel Yun (GT) 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
4. Fermin Calvo (UM) def. Andrew Li (GT) 5-7, 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
5. Nathan Rakitt (GT) def. Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-2, 6-1
6. Michael Kay (GT) def. Bernard Tefel (UM) 6-4, 6-3
1. #54 Michael Kay/Casey Kay (GT) vs. Max Andrews/Bernard Tefel (UM) 5-3, unfinished
2. Carlos Benito/Christopher Eubanks (GT) def. Piotr Lomacki/Nile Clark (UM) 6-1
3. Nathan Rakitt/Daniel Yun (GT) def. Jesse Flores/Kevin Bondar (UM) 6-4
Miami 7-10; National ranking #67
Georgia Tech 13-5; National ranking #31
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (5,6,1,2,3,4)