Jackets Top Maryland on Senior Day, 6-1
April 6, 2008
The Georgia Tech men's tennis team (13-9, 3-6 ACC) celebrated its four seniors final home match with a 6-1 win over
The Yellow Jackets moved to 23-6 all-time against the Terrapins and won their 19th straight in the series.
"The seniors played very good today," head coach Kenny Thorne said. "We had some great support from our fans. It was a really good way to send our seniors out in their final home match of their careers."
The Jackets picked up the doubles point after sweeping through the three doubles matches. Senior David North and freshman Eliot Potvin pulled away from Nickolai Nielsen and Andrew Orban, 8-4, in the third doubles position. On court two, senior George Gvelesiani and freshman Guillermo Gomez cruised to an 8-2 victory over David Kwon and Michael Coleman. No. 43 doubles tandem senior Scott Blackmon and freshman Ryan Smith finished off the sweep after holding off Amit Inbar and Boris Fetbroyt, 8-7 (7-4) for their 13th dual match doubles win of the season from the No. 1 spot in the lineup.
Gomez pushed Tech's lead to 2-0 after the Terrapins Inbar was forced to retire with Gomez ahead 6-0. The Jackets took a commanding 3-0 lead when Potvin defeated Fetbroyt, 6-2, 6-1, at the No. 3 singles position. Smith sealed the match for the Jackets when he grinded out a tough 6-0, 7-6 (7-5) win over Coleman from the No. 5 position in the lineup.
Playing in front of his home crowd for the very last time, North needed three sets to defeat Kwon, 4-6, 6-3, 6-2, on court No. 2. Freshman Miguel Muguruza also picked up a singles win for the Jackets at the No. 6 position over Roshan Potarazu, 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-4.
"I felt that was some of the best doubles we played all season," Thorne said. "All three teams played great and set the tone for the rest of the match. In singles, we got up quick but I give the credit to
Tech will close out its regular season next weekend with a trip to the Tar Heel state with a match against
- RamblinWreck.com -
Tennis Match Results
Apr 06, 2008 at
1. #70 Guillermo Gomez (GT) def. #79 Amit Inbar (MARY) 6-0, retired
2. #78 David North (GT) def. David Kwon (MARY) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
3. Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Boris Fetbroyt (MARY) 6-2, 6-1
4. Nickolai Nielsen (MARY) def. Scott Blackmon (GT) 3-6, 7-6 (7-2), 10-6
5. Ryan Smith (GT) def. Michael Coleman (MARY) 6-0, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Miguel Muguruza (GT) def. Roshan Potarazu (MARY) 6-7 (3-7), 6-3, 6-4
1. #43 Scott Blackmon/Ryan Smith (GT) def. Amit Inbar/Boris Fetbroyt (MARY) 8-7 (7-4)
2. Guillermo Gomez/George Gvelesiani (GT) def. David Kwon/Michael Coleman (MARY) 8-2
3. David North/Eliot Potvin (GT) def. Andrew Orban/Nickolai Nielsen (MARY) 8-4
Georgia Tech 13-9, 3-6 ACC; National ranking #50
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (1,3,5,2,6,4)