@GTWBB Rolls to 81-61 Win vs. High Point
Senior Aaliyah Whiteside scored a team-high 21 points in the victory
CANCUN, Mexico – The Georgia Tech women’s basketball team (5-2) rolled to an 81-61 victory against High Point (1-6) in the Yellow Jackets’ final game of the Cancun Challenge.
“I thought we played much harder on the defensive end and I liked the way we shared the basketball with 19 assists,” head coach MaChelle Joseph said. “I thought that Aaliyah made some key plays that sparked a run that caused separation. I was really impressed with the play of Imani Tilford. It doesn’t show in the box score, other than her five steals, but she probably had 15 deflections and five steals. I was really impressed with the way she played on the defensive end. “
How it Happened
The Yellow Jackets had three players score in double-digits in the 20-point victory. Senior Aaliyah Whiteside led the Yellow Jackets in points with 21 and rebounding with seven boards. Both senior Roddreka Rogers and sophomore Antonia Peresson each scored 11 points apiece.
The opening minutes stayed close between the two teams but the Yellow Jackets put together an 14-0 run and held the Panthers scoreless for the final 6:03 of the period to go up 21-8 at the first break. Tech had eight steals in the first 10 minutes alone.
Both teams scored 21 points apiece in the second period, but the Jackets went into halftime with the advantage, 42-29. Whiteside hit double-figures in the second period, marking the seventh –straight game this season she has scored at least 10 points and the 14th straight game, dating back to last season.
The Panthers would cut their deficit down to just 10, 48-38 at 6:32 in the third period but the Yellow Jackets would outscore High Point 8-2 in the final five minutes of the period to take a 56-40 lead into the final quarter break.
The Jackets sank four shots from behind the arc on their way to outscoring the Panthers 25-21 in the final 10 minutes. Sophomore Antonia Peresson was responsible for two of those 3-pointers.
The 20-point Streak Continues
Senior Aaliyah Whiteside’s streak of scoring at least 20 points was extended against the Panthers after scoring 21 points. Whiteside has scored at least 21 points in every game this season, which is the most by any player in the ACC. She is averaging a team-high 21.6 points per game. Whiteside has scored at least 20 points in 14 games in her career.
The Yellow Jackets registered 16 steals against the Panthers, forced 28 turnovers and scored 34 points off of High Point’s turnovers. Sophomore Imani Tilford recorded five of those steals, dished out three assists and scored seven points. Tilford is averaging a team-best 3.6 steals per game.
- After scoring 21 points against High Point, Whiteside has now scored in double-figures in 14 straight games, dating back to last season, and all seven games this season.
- Whiteside led the team in scoring for the sixth time this season and it was her seventh-straight game scoring at least 21 points.
- Roddreka Rogers scored in double-figures for the fourth straight game and fifth time this season with 11 points. She grabbed three rebounds and had three assists and three steals against the Panthers.
- Antonia Peresson scored in double-figures with 11 points for the second time this season. She made three 3-pointers for the third time this season.
- Whiteside went an impressive 11-for-11 from the free throw line. With her 11 made free throws, she now has 336 made free throws in her career. Whiteside needs 5 more made free throws to move into sixth past Ida Neal’s 340.
The Yellow Jackets continue play on the road, traveling to Indiana on Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET for the ACC/Big Ten Challenge.