Jackets Fall to Michigan in ACC/Big Ten Challenge, 92-52
Georgia Tech women's basketball team falls to 6-1 on the season
THE FLATS -- Georgia Tech women's basketball suffered its first loss of the season in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge, falling to Michigan 92-52. With the loss, Tech moved to 6-1 on the season.
How It Happened
Michigan raced out of the gate with a 9-0 run, forcing Tech to call a timeout with less than three minutes expired as the Wolverines grabbed a double-digit lead off a jumper from Hallie Thome at the 5:06 mark. The Yellow Jackets were limited to six field goals in the first quarter, three coming from long distance. Tech closed the frame with an 8-2 run to cut the score to 23-16.
The Wolverines shot 50.0 percent in the second quarter to push its lead out to 20 points late in the half. Tech opened the quarter cutting the score to seven points before Michigan opened a 12-0 run over 4:25 minutes of play to expand its lead to 39-20 with three minutes left to play in the half. Imani Tilford scored Tech's final seven points of the half as Michigan led 45-28 at the break.
Michigan limited Tech from the field in the second half and continued to extend its advantage, leading by as many as 42 in the game. Tilford finished the contest with 15 points, having now scored in double-figures in the last three games. Michigan entered the game leading the nation in three-point percentage, but was limited from long range tonight, finishing 6-of-18 from long distance for a 33.3 percent clip.
* Tech moved to 6-1 on the season with the loss
* Michigan improved to 1-0 all-time against the Yellow Jackets in program history with the win
* Tech now stands at 6-4 in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge and suffered its first loss at home in the Challenge
* Tech limited Michigan's leading scorer Katelynn Flaherty to five points in the first half
* Michigan won the rebounding battle 44-38 and outscored GT in the paint, 50-22
* For the game, Tech shot 29.3 percent (17-58) from the field and 48.0 percent (12-25) from the free throw line
* The Yellow Jackets saw 42 points off the bench led by Imani Tilford with 15 points
Tech continues this four-game homestand welcoming Georgia State on Saturday, Dec. 3. Tip inside McCamish Pavilion is slated for 2 p.m.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTWBB), Instagram (GTWBB), Facebook (Georgia Tech Women's Basketball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.