Jackets Welcome No. 24 Syracuse Sunday
Georgia Tech women's basketball is back in action on Sunday at 1 p.m.
THE FLATS -- After picking up its first ACC win of the season at Boston College, the Georgia Tech women's basketball team returns home Sunday to welcome No. 24 Syracuse at 1 p.m.
THE STARTING FIVE...
1. Syracuse brings a No. 24 ranking in the USA Today Coaches Poll into the Sunday matinee. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org or watch on Fox Sports South in Atlanta. Jenn Hildreth (play-by-play) and LaChina Robinson (analyst) will be on the call.
2. Syracuse owns an all-time record of 4-0 against Georgia Tech dating back to the first meeting 2012, which took place on neutral ground in the San Juan Shootout in Puerto Rico. The Orange took the lone meeting in Atlanta in 2015.
3. Georgia Tech picked up its first ACC win of the season at Boston College on Thursday. Freshman Francesca Pan led the Jackets with 17 points.
4. Five Jackets scored in double-figures at Boston College, marking the fourth time this season five players reached double-figures in a game.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 264-166. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD...
-Move Georgia Tech to 13-4 on the season and push its home record to 8-3
-Be the first win over Syracuse in program history
-Mark the first win over a top-25 opponent since a 71-62 victory over No. 16/17 Duke on Feb. 26, 2015 in McCamish
-Mark Coach Joseph's 265th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 640th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech and Syracuse last met on Feb. 7, 2016 in Syracuse with the Orange taking the decision 71-52. Three Jackets scored in double-figures including returner Antonia Peresson who pitched in 11 points off three triples. Both teams shot fairly evenly as Syracuse was 35.8 percent from the field to Tech's 39.5 percent. Despite the loss, Tech won the rebounding battle 43-34. Syracuse won the game forcing 35 Tech turnovers which marked a season-high for the Jackets. The Orange collected 22 steals in the game and converted the miscues into 35 points. Tech scored just seven points off 11 Syracuse turnovers.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech picked up its first ACC win of the season last Thursday, winning its fourth straight victory over Boston College. Five Jackets scored in double-figures led by Francesca Pan with 17 points as Tech shot 43.9 percent from the field and recorded 19 steals to seal the win. The Jackets struggled at the free throw line, converting just 7-of-23 attempts for a 30.4 percent efficiency. Tech outscored BC off turnovers, 31-18, using 27 Eagle turnovers to its advantage.