Jackets Welcome No. 6 Florida State Thursday
Georgia Tech women's basketball returns home Thursday at 7 p.m. to host Florida State
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech women’s basketball team returns home after a pair of road games to host No. 6 Florida State on Thursday at 7 p.m.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech looks to snap a two-game skid hosting No. 6 Florida State Thursday. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. Florida State leads the all-time series 24-20, but the Jackets have taken two of the past three meetings against the Seminoles, including the last meeting in Atlanta in 2015.
3. Tech is in the midst of a stretch of playing four of five games on the road and is playing its lone contest at home in a three week span. The Jackets hit the road for two more matches next week.
4. The Jackets have met five nationally-ranked teams in seven games to open the ACC slate, including tonight’s matchup. The ACC boasts eight teams ranked in the top 25.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 265-168. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 14-6 on the season and push its home record to 9-3
-Mark the third win over the Seminoles in four meetings
-Move the all-time series record to 24-21 in favor of Florida State
-Be the second win over a ranked opponent this season as the Jackets topped No. 24 Syracuse earlier this month
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 266th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 641st all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech met Florida State last season in the fourth game of the ACC slate in Tallahassee and the Seminoles took the decision, 75-69. Three Jackets pitched in double-figures, but the Seminoles out-rebounded Tech 56-31 and shot 44.8 percent (30-67) from the field to take the win. Florida State outscored Tech in the paint, 40-26, but used 29 Seminole turnovers for a 30 point conversion. Tech’s largest lead was only three points in the game and held the advantage for three minutes. Two Seminoles posted double-doubles in the game.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech fell in a heartbreaker at Wake Forest most recently, dropping its first overtime game of the season. The Jackets led by one point with just over two minutes remaining, but the Demon Deacons hit the back end of a pair of free throws to tie the game and force overtime. Tech shot just 39.4 percent (28-71) from the field, but was 4-of-12 at the free throw line. Wake Forest finished 17-of-25 from the free throw line and 37.5 percent (24-64) from the field. Zaire O’Neil capped the game with 22 points, two points shy of matching her all-time career-high. O’Neil was one of three players to finish in double-figures as Chanin Scott and Francesca Pan each added 10 points.
In conjunction with the Samaritan’s Feet Shoe Drive going on at the game, Georgia Tech head women’s basketball coach MaChelle Joseph and Florida State head coach Sue Semrau will coach the game barefoot in support of the Barefoot Coaching initiative by Samaritan’s Feet.