Women’s Basketball Set to Open ACC Tournament Wednesday
Georgia Tech women's basketball opens the ACC Tournament at 3:30 p.m. Wednesday
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Boston College Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – The Georgia Tech women’s basketball team is set to open the 2017 ACC Tournament in the HTC Center on Wednesday facing 15th-seeded Boston College. The Jackets, seeded 10th, and Eagles tipoff at 3:30 p.m.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech opens the 2017 ACC Tournament on Wednesday as the No. 10 seed and will face 15th-seeded Boston College at 3:30 p.m. The game will be televised on RSN. Fans can also listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. The Yellow Jackets took the only meeting during the regular season against Boston College in Boston. Tech defeated BC, 71-67, behind five players in double-figures. With the win, the Jackets have taken the last four meetings against Boston College.
3. Georgia Tech wrapped up the regular season at No. 17 Miami on Sunday, and despite a late rally, fell to the Hurricanes 75-70. Freshman Francesca Pan recorded her fifth game with 20-plus points, leading the Jackets with 21 points.
4. On Monday, freshman Francesca Pan earned her fifth ACC Rookie of the Week accolade this season after posting a pair of double-figure games to close the regular season. Pan is the first Jacket to earn five ACC Rookie of the Week honors since 2010-11.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 268-175. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georiga Tech to 17-13 overall on the season
-Push Tech’s all-time ACC Tournament record to 17-37 and 12-13 under MaChelle Joseph
-Advance Tech to the second round to face 7th-seeded Miami at 6 p.m. on Thursday
-Mark the fifth straight win over Boston College and second win over the Eagles on neutral ground
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 268th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 643rd all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech picked up its first ACC win of the season in early January, winning its fourth straight victory over Boston College. Five Jackets scored in double-figures led by Francesca Pan with 17 points as Tech shot 43.9 percent from the field and recorded 19 steals to seal the win. The Jackets struggled at the free throw line, converting just 7-of-23 attempts for a 30.4 percent efficiency. Tech outscored BC off turnovers, 31-18, using 27 Eagle turnovers to its advantage. BC had three players in double-figure scoring numbers paced by Mariella Fasoula with 22 points as the Eagles shot 48.0 percent (24-50) from the field.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech wrapped up the regular season with a trip to No. 17 Miami on Sunday. The Jackets, despite a late rally, fell to the Hurricanes 75-70. Freshman Francesca Pan led the Jackets with 21 points for her fifth straight game in double-figures and fifth game with 20-plus points this season. Kaylan Pugh was the only other Jacket to reach double-figures with 15 points. Tech won the rebounding battle 48-32 led by Zaire O’Neil with nine boards. The Jackets shot 36.2 percent (25-69) from the field and 66.7 percent (14-21) from the free throw line. Miami posted a 44.3 percent (27-61) percent efficiency from the floor and 81.0 percent (17-21) effort at the charity stripe.
ACC TOURNAMENT HISTORY
After finishing the 2016-17 season with a 16-13 overall record and a 5-11 mark in the ACC, the Georgia Tech women’s basketball team has been slated as the #10 seed in the 2017 ACC Tournament. The Yellow Jackets are 16-37 overall in the ACC Tournament and 11-13 under Coach Joseph. The Jackets and Eagles have never met in the ACC Tournament.