Jackets Set to Open WNIT Thursday Against Jacksonville
Georgia Tech women's basketball opens postseason play Thursday at 7 p.m. in McCamish Pavilion
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (17-14) vs. Jacksonville Dolphins (23-8)
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Jacksonville Game Notes
Parking: Fans are asked to park in the Family Housing Deck or on Fowler Street Thursday night
Radio: WREK 91.1
THE FLATS -- The Georgia Tech women's basketball team begins postseason play on Thursday night in McCamish Pavilion. Tickets for the first round of the WNIT against Jacksonville are just $3 for fans and Georgia Tech students receive free admission with their Buzz Card.
THE STARTING FIVE...
1. Georgia Tech opens the 2017 WNIT facing Jacksonville in the first round on Thursday. Tip is slated for 7 p.m. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. The Yellow Jackets and Dolphins will meet for just the second time in program history on Thursday. Tech took the lone meeting between the squads back in 2006 in Atlanta, 81-52.
3. This is Tech's seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Last season, the Jackets reached the second round of the WNIT after defeating Mercer in the first round. Tech fell to Tulane in round two.
4. Francesca Pan capped her freshman season earning ACC Freshman of the Year by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and the ACC head coaches. Additionally, Pan was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and All-Academic Team.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 269-176. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD...
-Move Georgia Tech to 18-14 overall on the season
-Advance the Jackets to the second round of the WNIT to face the winner of the UCF/Stetson game
-Be the second win in program history over Jacksonville and move the all-time series record to 2-0 in favor of Tech
-Move Tech's all-time record when competing in the WNIT to 8-5
-Mark Coach Joseph's 270th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 644th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech and Jacksonville have met just once in program history, dating all the way back to Dec. 10, 2006. The teams met in Tech's then-home of Alexander Memorial Coliseum (McCamish Pavilion opened in 2012). Tech grabbed the decision 79-57 led by three players reaching double-figures. Tech shot 47.6 percent for the game and converted 22 Dolphin turnovers into 26 points.
LAST TIME OUT
The Jackets last competed on March 2 in the second round of the ACC Tournament in Conway, S.C. at the HTC Center against No. 16 Miami. Tech bested Boston College in the first round to complete the sweep over the Eagles in 2016-17. Against Miami, Kaylan Pugh led the Jackets with a game-high 21 points and was one of four to reach double-figure scoring numbers. Pugh was 8-for-12 from the field, but Miami's hot shooting sealed the win for the Hurricanes. Miami shot 63.8 percent from the field for the game and never shot below 47.1 percent in a quarter. In the fourth frame, Miami shot 90.0 percent from the field. Tech shot 45.9 percent from the floor and finished 11-for-21 from the free throw line.
TECH IN THE WNIT
Georgia Tech is making its seventh overall appearance in the WNIT Thursday night and third-straight. Through the six appearances in the postseason tournament, the Jackets have posted a 7-5 record, including advancing to the second round last season. In 1992, Tech won the NWIT at the Cal Farley Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas. This is the fifth time the Jackets will host a first round game. The berth also marks the 10th postseason appearance in 11 years for Tech.