Jackets Host WNIT Quarterfinal Action Against Alabama Sunday
Georgia Tech women's basketball returns to the hardwood on Sunday at 2 p.m.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (20-14) vs. Alabama Crimson Tide (22-13)
Parking: First-come, first-served in McCamish, East O'Keefe, Fowler Street and Family Housing Deck
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Alabama Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
THE FLATS -- After dominating MTSU in the round of 16, Georgia Tech returns to the hardwood on Sunday in McCamish Pavilion.
THE STARTING FIVE...
1. Georgia Tech advanced to the quarterfinals in the WNIT to host Alabama at 2 p.m. Sunday. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org.
2. The Yellow Jackets and Crimson Tide meet for the second time this season as the non-conference foes met earlier in the regular season in Tuscaloosa. Alabama snagged the decision by two points late in the game. The Crimson Tide lead the all-time series 4-1.
3. This is Tech's seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Last season, the Jackets reached the second round of the WNIT after defeating Mercer in the first round. Tech fell to Tulane in round two. Tech last reached the quarterfinals in 2000 when the WNIT was still a field of 32 teams.
4. Francesca Pan capped her freshman season earning ACC Freshman of the Year by both the Blue Ribbon Panel and the ACC head coaches. Additionally, Pan was named to the ACC All-Freshman Team and All-Academic Team.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 272-176. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD...
-Move Georgia Tech to 21-14 overall
-Advance the Jackets to the semifinal round to face the winner of the Iowa/Washington State game
-Move the all-time series record to 4-2 against Alabama in favor of the Crimson Tide
-Mark Coach Joseph's 273rd career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 646th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech dropped just its second game of the season when it met Alabama for the first time this season. Three Jackets scored in double-figures led by Zaire O'Neil with 17 points, but an 11-of-22 effort at the free throw line hindered Tech. Alabama won the rebounding battle, 48-43, including a 17-13 edge in offensive boards. Tech shot 39.7 percent (25-63) from the floor compared to the Crimson Tide's 33.8 percent (23-68) effort. The Yellow Jackets led for 23:53 minutes of the game, while the Crimson Tide held the advantage for 12:14.
LAST TIME OUT
The Jackets advanced to the quarterfinal round of the WNIT with a 70-57 victory over MTSU last Thursday. Francesca Pan came out blazing in the first quarter, draining 18 points in the first half and opening the game shooting 6-for-6 from the field, including hitting two three-pointers. It was Zaire O'Neil who took control in the second half, leading the Jackets with 14 points. Tech won the rebounding battle over the Blue Raiders 46-31 led by Imani Tilford with eight boards. The Jackets outscored MTSU in the paint, 34-16.
TECH IN THE WNIT
Georgia Tech is making its seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Through the seven appearances in the postseason tournament (including 2017), the Jackets have posted a 10-5 record, including advancing to the second round three straight seasons. In 1992, Tech won the NWIT at the Cal Farley Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas. The berth also marks the 10th postseason appearance in 11 years for Tech.