Jackets Host WNIT Semifinal Action Wednesday
Georgia Tech women's basketball hosts Washington State Wednesday at 7 p.m.
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets (21-14) vs. Washington State Cougars (16-19)
Parking: First-come, first-served in McCamish, East O'Keefe, Fowler Street and Family Housing Deck
Georgia Tech Game Notes | Washington State Game Notes
Radio: WREK 91.1
THE FLATS -- And then there were four. Georgia Tech women's basketball hosts WNIT semifinal action on Wednesday night welcoming Washington State for the first-ever meeting between the programs in history.
THE STARTING FIVE...
1. Georgia Tech advanced to the WNIT semifinals to host Washington State at 7 p.m. Wednesday. Fans can listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org. The game will also be available on ESPN3.
2. The Yellow Jackets and Cougars meet for the first time in program history Wednesday night. The Jackets have faced five Pac-12 teams in program history: Arizona, Colorado, Oregon, UCLA and Washington.
3. This is Tech's seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Last season, the Jackets reached the second round of the WNIT after defeating Mercer in the first round. Tech fell to Tulane in round two. Tech's appearance this season in the semifinals marks the first time the Jackets have reached the final four since the inception of the WNIT in 1998. Tech won the NWIT in 1992.
4. In Tech's WNIT postseason play, ACC Freshman of the Year Francesca Pan has led the Jackets averaging 14.5 ppg and has scored in double-figures in three of the four games.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 272-176. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.4 percent.
A WIN WOULD...
-Move Georgia Tech to 22-14 overall on the season
-Advance the Jackets to the championship game for the first time since 1992
-Give Tech a 1-0 lead in the all-time series against Washington State
-Mark Coach Joseph's 273rd career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 6465th all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Georgia Tech and Washington State will meet for the first time in program history Wednesday night.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech reached the WNIT semifinals with a 76-66 victory over Alabama, avenging a regular season loss to the Crimson Tide in Tuscaloosa. Elo Edeferioka notched her third double-double of the season, leading the Jackets with 16 points and 11 rebounds. Edeferioka was one of five Jackets to score in double-figures as Zaire O'Neil contributed 15 points, while Kaylan Pugh and Antonia Peresson each added 12 points and Francesca Pan finished with 10 points. The Jackets handled Alabama in the paint, outscoring the Crimson Tide 38-24 and saw 26 points come off the bench fueled by Peresson and Pugh.
TECH IN THE WNIT
Georgia Tech is making its seventh overall appearance in the WNIT and third-straight. Through the seven appearances in the postseason tournament (including 2017), the Jackets have posted an 11-5 record, including advancing to the second round three straight seasons. In 1992, Tech won the NWIT at the Cal Farley Coliseum in Amarillo, Texas. The berth also marks the 10th postseason appearance in 11 years for Tech.