Nov. 20, 2015
The Georgia Tech women’s basketball team hits the road for the first time this season, traveling to in-state rival Georgia on Sunday at 4 p.m. The game can be heard on WREK 91.1/WREK.org and will be on the SEC Network with Pam Ward and Gail Goestenkors on the call.
- Georgia Tech hits the road for the first time this season, traveling to in-state rival Georgia on Sunday at 4 p.m. The game can be heard on WREK 91.1/WREK.org and will be on the SEC Network with Pam Ward and Gail Goestenkors on the call.
- The Yellow Jackets look to break an unfortunate streak in Athens and win its first game on the road against Georgia in program history. Georgia leads the all-time series, 33-4.
- Its been quite a week for senior Aaliyah Whiteside. After being named the ACC Player of the Week for the first time in her career on Monday after averaging 21.5 ppg during the opening weekend, Whiteside became the 29th Yellow Jacket to score 1,000 career points on Wednesday. Her 21 points against Southeastern Louisiana were enough to put her in the 1,000 point club. She is averaging a team-best and ACC-high 21.3 points per game.
- The Jackets are averaging an ACC-best 91.7 points per game. The Jackets are also owning the rebounding battle, tallying a league-high +21.0 rebounding margin, which ranks 10th in the NCAA. Tech has outrebounded all of its opponents so far this season.
- Head coach MaChelle Joseph became the all-time winningest coach in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history last year and has a career record of 235-149 and the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.2 percent. She is currently in her 13th season at the helm of the Jackets.
A WIN WOULD...
- Be the first win for the Yellow Jackets in program history in Athens, Ga.
- Snap a four game-losing streak to the Bulldogs and be the first win against Georgia since a 69-53 victory on Dec. 5, 2010 in Atlanta.
- Give head coach MaChelle Joseph a 4-9 record against Georgia and Tech a 5-33 record against UGA overall.
- Keep the Yellow Jackets undefeated in non-conference season at 4-0.
- Be the fifth time in Coach Joseph’s 13 year career that the Yellow Jackets have started off the season 4-0.
- Be the 236th win of Coach Joseph’s career and her 385th game at the helm of the Jackets putting her just 16 games away from hitting the 400 mark.
- Give Georgia Tech its 611th program win and put Georgia Tech at 611-575 overall over 41 years of women’s basketball.
WHAT A WEEK FOR WHITESIDE
After being named the ACC Player of the Week for the first time in her career on Monday after averaging 21.5 ppg during the opening weekend, Whiteside became the 29th Yellow Jacket to score 1,000 career points on Wednesday. Her 21 points against Southeastern Louisiana were enough to put her in the 1,000 point club. She is averaging a team-best and ACC-high 21.3 points per game. Whiteside has scored at least 21 points in every game so far this season. She has scored 23 percent of Georgia Tech’s points through the first three games. She is the only ACC player to have three 20 point games so far this season. Whiteside is also averaging 5.7 rebounds per game and 3.0 assists per game.
The Yellow Jackets’ 68 rebounds against Southeastern Louisiana ranks fifth on Tech’s single season list for most rebounds in a game. Georgia Tech has outrebounded every opponent this season and holds a +21.0 rebounding margin which is first in the ACC and 10th in the NCAA. Junior Katarina Vuckovic leads the team in rebounding with 7.0 rebounds per game which is tied for 12th in the conference.
Georgia Tech and Georgia will meet on the hardwood for the 38th time. Georgia leads the all-time series 33-4 and is 15-0 against Tech in Athens. Georgia Tech’s last win against the Bulldogs came on Dec. 5, 2010 in Atlanta - 69-53. The Yellow Jackets look to snap a four-game losing streak.
Three of the Yellow Jackets’ four wins against the Bulldogs have come under head coach MaChelle Joseph - 2004, 2008 and 2010. Tech’s first win in the series came on Dec. 27, 2002, breaking a 24 game losing streak.
MOST PLAYED OPPONENTS
Georgia is Georgia Tech’s eighth most commonly played opponent. The two in-state rivals will meet on the hardwood for the 38th time this weekend. Georgia Tech will face seven of its eight most played opponents this season.
Georgia Tech’s Most Played Opponents
Team # of Games Series Record
Clemson 75 Clemson leads 43-32
North Carolina 73 North Carolina leads 55-18
Virginia 69 Virginia leads 53-16
Duke 67 Duke leads 59-8
Maryland 67 Maryland leads 49-18
NC State 66 NC State leads 43-23
Wake Forest 64 Gerorgia Tech leads 40-24
Georgia 37 Georgia leads 33-4
ACC ACCOLADES FOR AALIYAH
Senior Aaliyah Whiteside was named the ACC Player of the Week on Nov. 16. This is the second ACC weekly honor of Whiteside’s career. She was named the ACC Rookie of the Week for the week of Dec. 24, 2012. Whiteside proved herself as a senior leader this weekend, leading the Yellow Jackets in scoring in two wins. Whiteside scored at least 20 points in both games against Loyola Chicago and St. Francis Brooklyn, and averaged 21.5 points over the opening weekend. Whiteside accounted for 25 percent of Georgia Tech’s points over two games. She shot 50 percent from the field and averaged 6.0 rebounds per game. Whiteside’s 22 points against Loyloa Chicago were the most by any player in the ACC on opening night.
It is the first time that a Yellow Jacket has garnered the ACC Player of the Week award since Tyaunna Marshall received the accolade for the week of Feb. 10, 2014.
Against Southeastern Louisiana, Georgia Tech had two 20 point scorers in the game in Gari (24) and Whiteside (21). Gari scored a season-best 24 points, hitting three 3-pointers and going a perfect 11-for-11 from the free throw line. It was the Olivia, Spain, native’s first time leading the team in scoring.Whiteside scored 21 points for her third-straight game scoring at least 21 points. Whiteside is the only player in the ACC that has recorded three 20 point games so far this season. In every game this season, at least one player has scored at least 20 points.