Women's Basketball Opens Junkanoo Jam Friday Against Dayton
The Georgia Tech women's basketball team is in the Bahamas for the Junkanoo Jam
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech women’s basketball opens the Junkanoo Jam on Friday facing Dayton at 3 p.m. EST. The Yellow Jackets wrap up the holiday tournament on Saturday at 2 p.m. facing either Creighton or Missouri.
THE STARTING FIVE…
1. Georgia Tech returns to action in the Bahamas for the Junkanoo Jam, Nov. 24-26. The Yellow Jackets open the holiday tournament facing Dayton on Friday for the first meeting in program history. Fans can watch the game on FloHoops.com (for a subscription) or listen live on WREK 91.1/WREK.org. On Saturday, Tech will face either Creighton or Missouri.
2. Georgia Tech is making its second appearance in the Bahamas having taken part in the Bahamas Sunshine Tournament in 2011-12. During the first appearance, Tech took home victories over SIU-Edwardsville and Central Arkansas.
3. Tech moved to 4-0 on the season with its first victory over Georgia since 2010 last Sunday. Zaire O’Neil led Tech with a team-high 20 points on 8-of-15 shooting. The win snapped a five-game win streak the Lady Bulldogs held over the Yellow Jackets.
4. Tech has opened the season 4-0 for the fifth time under the direction of MaChelle Joseph. The last time the Yellow Jackets opened the season 4-0 dates back to the 2011-12 season when Tech reached its first Sweet 16.
5. Head coach MaChelle Joseph is in her 14th season on The Flats and carries an all-time career record of 256-162. Joseph is the all-time winningest coach in program history and holds the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 60.9 percent.
A WIN WOULD…
-Move Georgia Tech to 5-0 on the season, marking the fourth time under Joseph the Yellow Jackets opened 5-0 (they did so in 2004-05, 2005-06, 2007-08)
-Be the first neutral site win of the 2016-17 season and first over Dayton in program history
-Be the third win in the Bahamas for the Yellow Jackets
-Push Tech’s non-conference record under Joseph to 143-39
-Mark Coach Joseph’s 257th career win at Georgia Tech and give Georgia Tech its 632nd all-time program win
LAST TIME THEY MET
Friday marks the first meeting on the hardwood between Georgia Tech and Dayton. This will mark the fourth program Tech has faced in the Atlantic 10 as the Yellow Jackets have taken on Fordham, UMass and St. Joseph’s prior to today.
LAST TIME OUT
Georgia Tech remained undefeated with a victory over in-state rival Georgia on Sunday. The win marked the fifth all-time in program history and fourth under Joseph. Junior Zaire O’Neil led the Yellow Jackets with 20 points in 33 minutes and finished with six rebounds, two blocks and one steal. O’Neil was the only Yellow Jacket to reach double-figures on the afternoon. Georgia won the battle on the glass 42-33, while both teams shot less than 34 percent from the floor.