Nov. 25, 2015
- Georgia Tech heads south to Cancun, Mexico to face Northern Iowa in the Cancun Challenge on Thanksgiving Day at 9 p.m. The game can be heard on WREK 91.1/WREK.org or seen live here.
- This will be the first meeting on the hardwoord between Georgia Tech and Northern Iowa.
- Senior Aaliyah Whiteside is averaging a team-best 21.6 points per game which ranks second in the ACC and 26th in the nation. She became the 29th Yellow Jacket to score 1,000 career points against Southeastern Louisiana. She has scored at least 21 points in every game so far this season.
- Senior Roddreka Rogers recorded her first double-double of the season against Alabama State, scoring 17 points and grabbing a team-high 13 rebounds. It was Rogers’ 18th double-double of her career. and her 18 career double-doubles lead all active ACC players. Rogers’ younger sister, DD, is also down in Cancun - DD is freshman on NC State’s basketball team.
- Head coach MaChelle Joseph became the all-time winningest coach in Georgia Tech women’s basketball history last year and has a career record of 236-150 and the highest winning percentage in Yellow Jacket history at 61.1 percent. She is currently in her 13th season at the helm of the Jackets.
a win would...
- Be the first neutral win of the season and put Tech at 5-1 in nonconference play.
- Be the first-ever win against Northern Iowa and give Georgia Tech the series lead, 1-0.
- Be the 237th win of Coach Joseph’s career and her 386th game at the helm of the Jackets putting her just 14 games away from hitting the 400 mark.
- Give Georgia Tech its 612th program win and put Georgia Tech at 612-576 overall over 41 years of women’s basketball.
leading by example
Seniors Roddreka Rogers and Aaliyah Whiteside were key factors in Georgia Tech’s 80-54 win against Alabama State, scoring 50 percent of Tech’s points and grabbing 46 percent of the Jackets’ rebounds. Rogers scored a season-high 17 points while leading the team in rebounding with 13 boards for her first double-double of the season. It was the 17th double-double of her career. Whiteside scored at least 21 points for the fifth straight game and went 13-for-16 from the free throw line.
The veteran duo has teamed up to score 40 percent of GT’s offensive output this season and have pulled down 29 percent of the Jackets’ rebounds this season. Their leadership is key, for Tech’s roster has nine freshmen and sophomores.
Junior Katarina Vuckovic has had quite the transformation from her sophomore to junior seasons. Vuckovic is averaging 13.4 points per game this season which is second on the Jackets and 22nd in the ACC and is tied for the team lead in rebounds with 6.8 rebounds per game, which is 15th in the conference. She scored a career-high 20 points a Georgia and has scored in double figures in four of the past five games. During her first two seasons, she averaged 5.1 points per game and 3.7 rebounds per game.
Against Alabama State, the Hornets fouled the Jackets 38 times, sending Tech to the charity stripe to shoot 51 free throws. The 51 attempted free throws are the most the Yellow Jackets have attempted at the line since Tech shot 50 free throws against Clemson on Jan. 26, 2002. Georgia Tech went 34-for-51 from the free throw line in the game, while Whiteside went 13-for-16.
home court success
Including this season, the Yellow Jackets have gone 18-1 in nonconference home games. Georgia Tech went a perfect 7-0 in 2013 and was 7-1 in 2014. At 4-0 this season at home, Tech is averaging 88.8 points per game.