@GaTechSoftball Defeats UVA in Walk Off Fashion
Samantha Pierannunzi hit a two-run homer in the 11th
THE FLATS – Tied 6-6 in the bottom of the eleventh inning, freshman Jordan Deep drew a two-out, pinch hit walk to extend the inning for Samantha Pierannunzi whose home run to center secured the 8-6 victory in the series finale against Virginia on Sunday afternoon and Alumni Day.
The Jackets improved to 19-29 on the season and 5-12 in ACC play, while the Cavaliers fell to 18-30 overall and 7-11 in league action.
“It was a great team win,” head coach Shelly Hoerner said. “I’m really proud of their resiliency. We never gave up and we continued to fight. I know we made those alumni proud, and it was a great crowd with so much support. We believed, we pushed through, and we stayed focused.
“The best part of the last inning was extending the inning by Jordan Deep, taking her pinch-hit walk, and being able to get to the top of the order again with Sam.”
The Jackets rallied earlier in the game. Down 6-2 in the fifth inning, Georgia Tech rallied with two outs to score four runs to tie the ballgame.
Pierannunzi was hit by a pitch, Courtney Ziese singled, and Katie Krzus’ single up the right side plated Pierannunzi. With two on and two outs, Colleen Darragh stepped to the plate and launched a three-run home run to left, her third long ball of the year, to knot the game, 6-6.
Jenna Goodrich (8-15) earned the win, pitching all 11 innings with six strikeouts. Virginia’s Erika Osherow (13-19) suffered the loss, throwing 10.2 innings.
- Pierannunzi’s home run was her sixth of the year, she finished the day 1-for-4 with two runs, two RBI and a walk
- Katie Krzus went 2-for-5 with two runs and an RBI
- Morgan Taylor hit a pair of doubles with a run and an RBI; Maddie Lionberger added a double
- Colleen Darragh’s third home run of the year kept the Jackets alive and tied the game 6-6
- Kaylee Ellebracht, Kelsey Chisholm, and Courtney Ziese each singled for the Jackets
- Jessica Kowalewicz added a run
- The Jacket defense turned two double plays in the game, and has 18 double plays on the season
- Tech has played five games this season that have gone to 10-plus innings
The Jackets make the short trip to Kennesaw, Ga. to take on Kennesaw State on Tuesday at 6 p.m. for the Owls’ annual Lexi’s Day.