Softball Takes on Georgia State in Panthersville
Jackets and Panthers square off at 4 p.m. Wednesday
|2017 Information Guide | Game Notes|
|Wednesday, Feb. 15 | 4 p.m.
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech softball team (0-5) travels to cross-town rival Georgia State (4-1) for a single game on Wednesday at 4 p.m. ET. The Jackets are looking for their first win in Panthersville, Ga. since March 1, 2011 – a 3-0 Tech victory.
-The Jackets have turned five double plays this season through five games to rank second in the nation and first in the ACC in double plays turned per game.
- The five double plays are already 25% of the total double plays turned a season ago (20).
- Three of the plays involved line drives, while the other two were grounders turned into double plays
- Sophomore Katie Krzus is tied for first on the team with five hits and is hitting .385.
- Against No. 24 Cal, she blasted a grand slam in the first inning for her first career grand slam and second home run of her career.
- She’s also patient at the plate, waiting for pitch, which is evident by her four walks - the second-most on the team.
- In addition, she’s on a five-game reached base streak and a three-game hitting streak.
- Senior Samantha Pierannunzi has zero strikeouts in 12 at bats over the weekend, making her the toughest player in the ACC to strikeout thus far.
- Against #24 Cal, she roped a leadoff home run in the first inning to spark a 7-run first inning for the Yellow Jackets.
- She’s tied for first on the team with five hits, and second with three RBI and three walks.
- Jessica Kowalewicz has started all five games at second base and has produced at the plate.
- The senior is 4-for-10 with three runs to go along with a double, home run, two RBI and four walks.
- She’s slugging .800 and hitting .400 through the first weekend.
- The Jackets are looking for their first win in Panthersville, Ga. since March 1, 2011.
- Tech won that game 3-0.
- In the series, which features, 68 games, the Jackets own a 20-13 record in Panthersville.