No. 21 Vanderbilt Tops No. 22 Georgia Tech 6-1
Freshman Kendal Woodard nets 10th win of rookie campaign
Feb. 2, 2013
THE FLATS - The Georgia Tech's women's tennis team, ranked 22nd, suffered a tough 6-1 loss to No. 21 Vanderbilt at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta Saturday afternoon.
The Jackets (2-2) did not win a point until freshman Kendal Woodard defeated 102nd-ranked Courtney Colton in the longest match of the day, 2-6, 7-5, 6-4, on court No. 2.
The contest was decided when junior Muriel Wacker couldn't find a way to beat Vandy's Ashleigh Antal at the No. 6 singles spot. Wacker lost in two sets, 7-6, 6-4.
"It was a tough match," head coach Rodney Harmon said. "Vanderbilt came in with a lot of confidence after qualifying for the ITA National Team Indoor Championships from a tough region. They upset No. 14 Northwestern Thursday and came in with a lot of resolve. Vanderbilt did a good job fighting tough on all the courts. They outplayed us today, but our team is young and I think very good. We're looking forward to preparing for our next match.
"Kendal's match was close throughout," Harmon continued. "I was happy for her, as she had lost a couple close three-setters and for her to beat a ranked player at No. 2 was very good."
Woodard and doubles partner Megan Kurey secured Tech's other win of the match when they bested the pair of Antal and Marie Caseres 8-4 at No. 2 doubles. The Jacket side improved to 8-3 overall and 4-0 in dual match play. The other two doubles teams of Elizabeth Kilborn and Alex Anghelescu and Natasha Prokhnevska and Wacker fell 8-2 and 8-3, respectively.
"The doubles point was big," Harmon added. "We weren't able to capture that like we had in our previous matches. They took the momentum, and we weren't able to grab it back in singles. We were up a set and had set break on court five, but we weren't able to win that one and turn the momentum."
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
Vanderbilt vs Georgia Tech
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#21 Vanderbilt 6, #22 Georgia Tech 1
1. Lauren Mira (VU) def. #39 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-3, 7-5
2. Kendal Woodard (GT) def. #102 Courtney Colton (VU) 2-6, 7-5, 6-4
3. #91 Marie Casares (VU) def. Alex Anghelescu (GT) 6-3, 6-4
4. #115 Frances Altick (VU) def. Megan Kurey (GT) 6-1, 6-2
5. Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
6. Ashleigh Antal (VU) def. Muriel Wacker (GT) 7-6 (9-7), 6-4
1. Lauren Mira / Courtney Colton (VU) def. Elizabeth Kilborn / Alex Anghelescu (GT) 8-2
2. Megan Kurey / Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Ashleigh Antal / Marie Casares (VU) 8-4
3. Frances Altick / Georgina Sellyn (VU) def. Muriel Wacker / Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 8-3
Vanderbilt 3-0; National ranking #21
Georgia Tech 2-1; National ranking #22
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (4,3,6,1,5,2)
Match played indoors.