No. 11 Jackets Sweep Tennessee, 7-0
Georgia Tech women’s tennis improves to 5-0
THE FLATS – Georgia Tech women’s tennis pushed its win streak to five straight with a sweep of Tennessee Sunday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. Tech improved to 5-0 on the season, while Tennessee’s seven-match win streak was snapped as the Volunteers dropped to 7-1.
DOUBLES ACTION: Tech opened the match taking two doubles matches to claim the doubles point. The Yellow Jacket duo of Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones gave Tech the early advantage with a 6-4 triumph over Sadie Hammond/Gabby Schuck at the No. 2 doubles spot. The doubles point was clinched at No. 3 when Nami Otsuka/Luca Fabia captured a hard-fought 7-5 win over Johanna Silva/Ashley Bongart.
SINGLES PLAY: Three straight set singles wins clinched the match for Tech. McAdoo wrapped up first from the No. 1 spot, downing No. 64 Brittany Lindl, 6-0, 6-0, before Otsuka took home a 6-0, 6-3 decision over Shuck from No. 6 for a 3-0 Tech match lead. Renaud clinched the match for Tech from No. 3, defeating Ariadna Riley, 6-0, 6-3. After dropping the first set, Nadia Gizdova bounced back to take the second set 6-3 and force a tiebreak, becoming victorious 10-8. Jones took a straight set victory over Repic at No. 4, 7-6, 6-2, before Hourigan completed the sweep with a 3-6, 6-3, 10-8 win at the No. 2 spot.
QUOTABLE: “It was a good win for the team today. First, hats off to Tennessee. They played a really tough match this morning and came back and played their hearts out this afternoon. There were a number of close matches that we were able to pull through. We played pretty well today and it is good practice for us going into ITA National Indoors. Obviously, we have things to keep working on, but it’s a good way for us to go off to New Haven.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech returns to the court at the ITA National Team Indoor Championships in New Haven, Conn. Play begins Feb. 10.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. Tennessee Results
Match Score: No. 11 Georgia Tech 7, Tennessee 0
1. (GT) Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud def. (UT) Brittany Lindl/Eve Repic 6-5 DNF
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones def. (UT) Sadie Hammond/Gabby Schuck 6-4
3. (GT) Nami Otsuka/Luca Fabia def. (UT) Johanna Silva/Ashley Bongart 7-5
Order of finish: 2,3
Point: Georgia Tech
1. (GT) No. 42 Rasheeda McAdoo def. (UT) #64 Brittany Lindl 6-0, 6-0
2. (GT) Paige Hourigan def. (UT) def. Sadie Hammond 3-6, 6-3, 10-8
3. (GT) Johnnise Renaud def. (UT) Ariadna Riley 6-0, 6-3
4. (GT) Kenya Jones def. (UT) Eve Repic 7-6, 6-2
5. (GT) Nadia Gizdova def. (UT) Johanna Silva 1-6, 6-3, 10-8
6. (GT) No. 82 Nami Otsuka def. (UT) Gabby Schuck 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1,6,3,5,4,2