No. 11 Jackets Close ITA Indoors Against No. 14 Auburn
Georgia Tech women’s tennis drops to 6-2
NEW HAVEN, Conn. – Georgia Tech women’s tennis wrapped up the 2017 ITA National Indoor Championships on Sunday dropping a 4-2 decision to No. 14 Auburn. The Jackets dropped to 6-2 on the season.
DOUBLES ACTION: The Yellow Jackets won two doubles matches to earn the doubles point to go ahead in the match 1-0. The 11th-ranked duo of Rasheeda McAdoo and Johnnise Renaud defeated Alizee Michaud and Taylor Russo, 6-4, while Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones topped Alannah Griffin and Andie Dikosavljevic 6-2 to capture the point.
SINGLES PLAY: Trailing by one, Auburn won four singles matches to clinch the victory. The Tigers evened the match with a straight set win on court six but the Jackets went ahead 2-1 when Otsuka won a 6-2, 6-3 decision over Axon on court five. The lead would be short-lived as Auburn took the next three matches to clinch the match. Auburn’s win on court four moved the score to 2-2 and the Tigers took a 3-2 lead from court one when Renaud dropped a three-set match to Michaud. The match was clinched at court three when Russo was able to pull out a three-set win over Hourigan for the final 4-2 score.
QUOTABLE: “Today was a tough match against Auburn that lasted over three hours. We just couldn’t finish in a few matches. Both teams fought hard. It was a very good college tennis match.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech returns home to host a double-header on Feb. 18, hosting Chattanooga at 11 a.m. followed by Georgia Southern at 2 p.m.
No. 11 Georgia Tech vs. No. 14 Auburn Results
Match Score: No. 14 Auburn 4, No. 11 Georgia Tech 2
1. #11 McAdoo/Renaud (GT) def. Alizee Michaud/Taylor Russo 6-4
2. Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. Alannah Griffin/Andie Dikosavljevic (AUB) 6-2
3. Georgiana Axon/Turner (AUB) def. Nadia Gizdova/Nami Otsuka (GT) 6-2
1. Alizee Michaud (AUB) def. Johnnise Renaud (GT) 6-7 (5-7), 6-2, 6-1
2. Andie Dikosavljevic (AUB) vs. #42 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) 3-6, 7-6 (9-7), 5-3 DNF
3. Taylor Russo (AUB) def. Paige Hourigan (GT) 6-4, 4-6, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Alannah Griffin (AUB) def. Kenya Jones (GT) 7-5, 7-5
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Georgiana Axon (AUB) 6-2, 6-3
6. Roos Van Der Zwann (AUB) def. Nadia Gizdova (GT) 6-0, 6-3
Order of Finish: 6, 5, 4, 1, 3, 2