Georgia Tech Rolls Past North Texas 4-0
Freshman Kendal Woodard clinches Yellow Jacket win on court two
March 1, 2013
THE FLATS - The Georgia Tech women's tennis team rolled to a 4-0 win over North Texas Friday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex in Atlanta. The win improves the Yellow Jackets, ranked No. 41, to 4-4 on the year while the Mean Green, ranked No. 47, falls to 6-3.
"I was really happy with how we played today. All the girls did a great job," head coach Rodney Harmon said. "Our doubles teams played extremely well. When we play like this, we can be a very good team. Elizabeth was solid on court one and is really playing good tennis right now. It's important for us to play well again on Sunday as we head into next weekend against Miami, Florida, and Florida State."
Georgia Tech won the doubles point without losing a game on courts one and three. It was the fifth time this year that the Yellow Jackets won the doubles point.
Freshmen Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey improved to 11-4 overall and 7-1 in dual play with an 8-0 win over North Texas' Barbora Vykydalova and Valentina Starkova on court one. Junior Muriel Wacker and freshman Natasha Prokhnevska clinched the first point of the day for Tech with an 8-0 win on court three to improve to 7-4 in doubles action. Senior Elizabeth Kilborn and sophomore Jasmine Minor were leading 5-3 on court two when the point was clinched.
Kilborn cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 victory over North Texas' Kseniya Bardabush on court one to put Tech up 2-0. It was the 10th singles win for Kilborn this year, who now has 78 career singles wins and is 11th all-time for career singles wins at Tech.
Wacker put the Jackets up 3-0 and within one point of the team victory with a 6-1, 6-3 win on court five.
After fighting for a 6-4 first set win, Woodard rolled to a 6-1 second set victory to clinch the match for Georgia Tech. It was the 13th singles win of the year for Woodard, which leads the Yellow Jackets.
Georgia Tech will be back in action on Friday, March 1 and Sunday, March 3 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. On Friday, Tech will take on North Texas at 4 p.m. and then the Jackets will face the Miami Redhawks at 8:30 a.m. Sunday.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
North Texas vs Georgia Tech
Mar 01, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#41 Georgia Tech 4, #47 North Texas 0
1. #65 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Kseniya Bardabush (NT) 6-1, 6-1
2. #104 Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Barbora Vykydalova (NT) 6-4, 6-1
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) vs. Valentina Starkova (NT) 6-1, 4-3, unfinished
4. Megan Kurey (GT) vs. FranziskaSprinkmeyer (NT) 6-2, 4-3, unfinished
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Ilona Serchenko (NT) 6-1, 6-3
6. Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Agustina Valenzuela (NT) 3-6, 2-4, unfinished
1. Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. Barbora Vykydalova/Valentina Starkova (NT) 8-0
2. Elizabeth Kilborn/Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. FranziskaSprinkmeyer/Kseniya Bardabush (NT) 5-3, unfinished
3. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Ilona Serchenko/Agustina Valenzuela (NT) 8-0
North Texas 6-3; National ranking #47
Georgia Tech 4-4; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (1,5,2)