Georgia Tech Completes Weekend Sweep With 4-0 Win Over Miami (OH)
Freshman Natasha Prokhnevska clinches the Yellow Jacket win
March 3, 2013
THE FLATS - The Georgia Tech women's tennis team completed a weekend sweep Sunday morning, defeating the Redhawks of Miami (Ohio) 4-0 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. The No. 41-ranked Yellow Jackets move to 5-4 on the year, while Miami is now 4-7.
The Yellow Jackets won the doubles point for the sixth time this season with victories at the one and two spots. Senior Elizabeth Kilborn and sophomore Jasmine Minor soundly defeated Chloe Heerden and Ana Rajkovic 8-2 at the latter, an especially important victory as this makes the pair 2-0 as partners.
Tech was keyed in part by a stellar performance from its freshmen. The doubles team of Kendal Woodard and Megan Kurey handled a challenge from the Redhawks' Alix Thurman and Christine Guerazzi at the No. 1 spot 8-4, before Kurey and fellow frosh Natasha Prokhnevska defeated their singles opponents to help clinch a Jacket victory.
Sophomore Muriel Wacker impressed at the No. 4 singles, beating Ana Rajkovic 6-2, 6-1 in the shortest match of the day. Wacker and Prokhnevska also proved an excellent doubles tandem for the Jackets - they led Nimisha Mohan and Christina Raymond 7-2 when the doubles point was clinched.
It was Prokhnevska's win at the No. 3 singles over Mohan of Miami that sealed the result. After going down 2-1 in the first set, the freshman from Wilmington, Del., went on to lose only one other game in her match, defeating Mohan 6-2, 6-1.
The remaining three singles matches were left unfinished, with the final score reading GT 4, Miami 0.
Georgia Tech will next take on the similarly-named University of Miami on Saturday, March 9 at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex. The match will begin at noon.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
Miami (Ohio) vs Georgia Tech
Mar 03, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#41 Georgia Tech 4, Miami (Ohio) 0
1. #65 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) vs. Christiana Raymond (UMO) 6-3, 4-2, unfinished
2. #104 Kendal Woodard (GT) vs. Alix Thurman (UMO) 4-6, 6-1, 2-5, unfinished
3. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) def. Nimisha Mohan (UMO) 6-2, 6-1
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Christine Guerazzi (UMO) 6-2, 6-2
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Ana Rajkovic (UMO) 6-2, 6-1
6. Jasmine Minor (GT) vs. Ramona Costea (UMO) 4-6, 5-3, unfinished
1. Megan Kurey/Kendal Woodard (GT) def. Alix Thurman/Christine Guerazzi (UMO) 8-4
2. Elizabeth Kilborn/Jasmine Minor (GT) def. Chloe Heerden/Ana Rajkovic (UMO) 8-2
3. Muriel Wacker/Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) vs. Nimisha Mohan/Christina Raymond (UMO) 7-2, unfinished
Miami (Ohio) 4-7
Georgia Tech 5-4; National ranking #41
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (4,5,3)