No. 5 Jackets Tame Tigers, 5-2
Georgia Tech women’s tennis edges Clemson on the road
CLEMSON, S.C. – Georgia Tech women’s tennis handled Clemson in singles play to erase an early deficit dropping the doubles point and walked away with a 5-2 victory on the road Sunday afternoon. With the win, Tech improved to 12-2 overall and 3-0 in ACC play.
DOUBLES ACTION: Clemson snagged the doubles point with wins on courts one and three to grab the early 1-0 lead. Tech’s No. 30 duo of Paige Hourigan and Kenya Jones edged Miller-Krasilnikov/Sydney Riley 6-1, but the Tigers quickly evened the playing field with a 6-2 decision on court three, forcing the doubles point to come down to court one. Clemson claimed the doubles point defeating Rasheeda McAdoo and Johnnise Renuad 6-4 at the top spot.
SINGLES PLAY: Trailing 1-0 entering singles play, the Jackets needed strong play in singles action to clinch the match and proved victorious taking five of six courts in singles play. Hourigan quickly knotted the match at 1-1 with a 6-1, 6-1 decision on court three over Leduc before Otsuka pushed the Jackets in front, 2-1, with a 6-0, 6-4 win on court five over Miller-Krasilnikov. McAdoo put Tech on the edge of triumph, defeating Navarro 6-2, 6-2 at No. 2 singles.
With Tech needing just one more singles win to clinch the match, Clemson rallied for the win, moving the score to 3-2 winning on court six. But Kenya Jones won a hard-fought decision on court four over Riley, 6-4, 7-5, to clinch the match for Tech. Renaud capped the action with a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Broomfield at No. 1 for the final 5-2 score.
QUOTABLE: “I was happy with our play today. Clemson outplayed us in doubles, but we came out and played very well in singles.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Georgia Tech returns to the court at home on Sunday, March 12, hosting Louisville at noon.
No. 5 Georgia Tech at Clemson Results
Match Score: No. 5 Georgia Tech 5, Clemson 2
1. Ayan Broomfield/Marie Leduc (CU) def. No. 7 Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT), 6-4
2. No. 30 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) def. A Miller-Krasilnikov/Sydney Riley (CU), 6-1
3. Fernanda Navarro/Daniela Ruiz (CU) def. Alex Anton-Ohlmeyer/Nami Otsuka (GT), 6-2
Order of finish: 2,3,1
Point: Georgia Tech
1. Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Ayan Broomfield (CU) 6-2, 7-5
2. No. 71 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. Fernanda Navarro (CU) 6-2, 6-2
3. Paige Hourgian (GT) def. Marie Leduc (CU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Sydney Riley (CU) 6-4, 7-5
5. No. 102 Nami Otsuka (GT) def. A Miller-Krasilnikov (CU) 6-0, 6-4
6. Constanza Gorches (CU) def. Nadia Gizdova (GT) 6-4, 6-1
Order of finish: 3,5,2,6,4,1