March 16, 2013
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech women’s tennis team put in a great effort Saturday afternoon, but fell 5-2 to the 19th-ranked Notre Dame Fighting Irish. The Yellow Jackets, ranked 25th nationally, lost the doubles point and were unable to climb out of the hole despite wins in singles from Muriel Wacker and Megan Kurey.
In doubles play, the Jackets fell behind early after losing the No. 2 and 3 spots. The freshmen team of Kendal Woodard and Kurey continued play and defeated the 60th ranked pairing of Jennifer Kellner and Chrissie McGaffigan, 8-5, at the No. 1 slot. The two move to 5-1 at that spot.
Kurey stayed hot in singles, quickly finishing McGaffigan, 6-0 and 6-3. The reigning ACC Player of the Week is now 4-1 in the past five matches. GT’s other singles win on the day came from Wacker. The sophomore from Zurich, Switzerland dealt with Notre Dame’s Molly O’Koniewski in two sets, winning 6-2 and 6-4.
Georgia Tech senior Elizabeth Kilborn and sophomore Jasmine Minor both lost in two sets at the No. 1 and 6 spots, respectively. Kilborn was bested by the 49th-ranked national singles player, Britney Sanders.
Tech’s Woodard and fellow freshman Natasha Prokhnevska hung in the match at 3-2, but Woodard fell in three sets to give the Irish the victory.
The Yellow Jackets next take on Northwestern in their eighth consecutive home match on March 27th. Follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
Notre Dame vs. Georgia Tech
Mar 16, 2013 at Atlanta, Ga.
(Ken Byers Tennis Complex)
#19 Notre Dame 5, #25 Georgia Tech 2
1. #49 Britney Sanders (ND) def. #69 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) 6-3, 7-5
2. Jennifer Kellner (ND) def. Natasha Prokhnevska (GT) 6-4, 6-4
3. Quinn Gleason (ND) def. #112 Kendal Woodard (GT) 4-6, 6-1, 6-4
4. Megan Kurey (GT) def. Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) 6-0, 6-3
5. Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Molly O'Koniewski (ND) 6-2, 6-4
6. Katherine White (ND) def. Jasmine Minor (GT) 6-2, 6-2
1. #79 Kendal Woodard/Megan Kurey (GT) def. #60 Jennifer Kellner/Chrissie McGaffigan (ND) 8-5
2. #36 Julie Sabacinski/Britney Sanders (ND) def. Elizabeth Kilborn/Jasmine Minor (GT) 8-4
3. Quinn Gleason/Katherine White (ND) def. Natasha Prokhnevska/Muriel Wacker (GT) 8-2
Notre Dame 10-5; National ranking #19
Georgia Tech 6-5; National ranking #25
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (6,4,5,1,3,2)