No. 21 Georgia Tech Falls 5-2 At No. 6 Miami
March 21, 2012
Coral Gables, Fla. - The 21st-ranked Georgia Tech women's tennis team's (7-7, 1-2 ACC) two-match winning streak was snapped 5-2 at the hands of the No. 6 ranked Miami Hurricanes (12-1, 4-0 ACC) Wednesday afternoon at the Neil Schiff Tennis Center in Coral Gables, Fla.
The Yellow Jackets knew they were in for a battle with the Canes and drew first blood on the doubles court by taking the doubles point. Miami's 28th-ranked pair of Liat Zimmerman and Melissa Bolivar topped Tech's No. 9 team of Jillian O'Neill and Alex Anghelescu 8-4, but the Jackets would respond strong on courts two and three.
Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn improved to 12-4 with an 8-5 win over the Hurricanes' 74th-ranked team of Gabriela Mejia and Lina Lileikite on court two. Viet Ha Ngo and Muriel Wacker clinched the opening point for head coach Bryan Shelton's squad with an 8-6 win over Miami's Anna Bartenstein and Brittany Dubins on court three.
Miami began singles play strong and tied the team score at 1-1 with a 6-3, 6-1 win by the 32nd-ranked Mejia over the Jackets' 86th-ranked Kilborn on court two. Miami gained the advantage in a top-25 battle on court one when No. 20 Anna Bartenstein defeated the Jackets' No. 22 Jillian O'Neill 6-1, 6-4 to put Miami up 2-1.
The Hurricanes inched closer to the team win when 99th-ranked Lileikite downed Ngo, 6-0, 6-4 on court three. Melissa Bolivar clinched the Miami win with a 6-1, 6-4 win over Tech freshman Jasmine Minor on court four. Zimmerman extended the Canes' lead with a 6-3, 3-6, 11-9 win over Anghelescu on court five.
Senior Lynn Blau added her second win of the day with a hard-fought 2-6, 6-4, 6-2 win over Dubins on court six.
Georgia Tech will finish its five match, 10 day road trip when they play at No. 73 Maryland in a 2 p.m. match Friday and at No. 62 Boston College in a 5 p.m. contest Saturday.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
#21 Georgia Tech at #6 Miami
March 21, 2012
#6 Miami 5, #21 Georgia Tech 2
Doubles (Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3)
1. #28 Liat Zimmerman / Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. #9 Jillian O'Neill / Alex Anghelescu (GT), 8-4
2. Lynn Blau / Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. #74 Gabriela Mejia / Lina Lileikite (UM), 8-5
3. Viet Ha Ngo / Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Anna Bartenstein / Brittany Dubins (UM), 8-6
Singles (Order of Finish: (2, 1, 3, 4, 5, 6)
1. #20 Anna Bartenstein (UM) def. #22 Jillian O'Neill (GT), 6-1, 6-4
2. #32 Gabriela Mejia (UM) def. #86 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 6-3, 6-1
3. #99 Lina Lileikite (UM) def. Viet Ha Ngo (GT), 6-0, 6-4
4. Melissa Bolivar (UM) def. Jasmine Minor (GT), 6-1, 6-4
5. Liat Zimmerman (UM) def. Alex Anghelescu (GT), 6-3, 3-6, 11-9
6. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Brittany Dubins (UM), 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
Georgia Tech 7-7, 1-2 ACC, national ranking #21
Miami 12-1, 4-0 ACC, national ranking #6
-- RamblinWreck.com --