No. 25 Yellow Jackets Sweep No. 66 Virginia Tech 7-0
April 7, 2012
Blacksburg, Va. - The 25th-ranked Georgia Tech women's tennis team (10-10, 4-5 ACC) claimed a 7-0 sweep of No. 66 Virginia Tech (12-9, 3-5 ACC) in its final road match of the 2012 season Saturday afternoon at the Burrows-Burleson Tennis Center in Blacksburg, Va.
The Yellow Jackets got off to a fast start in doubles play and never slowed down. Viet Ha Ngo and Muriel Wacker cruised to an 8-2 win, their 11th doubles win of the spring, over the Hokies' Emily Lauten and Isel Martinez-Marcos on court three.
Georgia Tech's 10th-ranked team of Alex Anghelescu and Jillian O'Neill clinched the doubles win and earned the Jackets' first team point of the day with an 8-6 victory over Shannon Betts and Courtney Rauscher on court one. Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn claimed their 15th doubles win of the spring as they knocked off Virginia Tech's Martha Blakely and Katie Blow to complete the Yellow Jackets sweep of doubles play.
O'Neill, ranked No. 17 in singles, easily downed the Hokies' Blakely 6-1, 6-2 on court one to put Georgia Tech up 2-0 in the team score. Kilborn pulled the Jackets within one point of the team victory as she bested Virginia Tech's Martinez-Marcos 6-3, 6-1 on court three.
Caroline Lilley, ranked No. 85, clinched the Yellow Jacket win with a 6-2, 6-4 win over Betts on court two. Anghelescu picked up her second win of the day as she defeated Rauscher 6-1, 6-4 on court four. Blau tallied her 11th dual match singles win of the year with a 6-4, 6-3 win over Tea Ivanovic on court six. Jasmine Minor won her second match of the weekend with a tough three-set win, 6-4, 1-6, 6-3 over Carol Kahoun on court five to complete the Jackets' sweep.
Georgia Tech returns to Atlanta for the final weekend of the regular season by hosting a pair of Old North State foes. The Yellow Jackets will take on NC State at noon Saturday, April 14, and Wake Forest at noon Sunday, April 15.
Fans are encouraged to follow Georgia Tech women's tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, and like the Yellow Jackets on Facebook, GTWomensTennis, for an inside look at the program.
#25 Georgia Tech at #66 Virginia Tech
April 7, 2012
#25 Georgia Tech 7, #66 Virginia Tech 0
Doubles (3, 1, 2)
1. #10 Alex Anghelescu / Jillian O'Neill (GT) def. Shannon Betts / Courtney Rauscher (VT), 8-6
2. Lynn Blau / Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Martha Blakely / Katie Blow (VT), 8-6
3. Viet Ha Ngo / Muriel Wacker (GT) def. Emily Lauten / Isel Martinez-Marcos, 8-2
Singles (1, 3, 2, 4, 6, 5)
1. #17 Jillian O'Neill (GT) def. Martha Blakely (VT), 6-1, 6-2
2. #85 Caroline Lilley (GT) def. Shannon Betts (VT), 6-2, 6-4
3. #108 Elizabeth Kilborn (GT) def. Isel Martinez-Marcos (VT), 6-3, 6-1
4. Alex Anghelescu (GT) def. Courtney Rauscher (VT), 6-1, 6-4
5. Jasmine Minor (GT) def. Carol Kahoun (VT), 6-4, 1-6, 6-3
6. Lynn Blau (GT) def. Tea Ivanovic (VT), 6-4, 6-3
Georgia Tech 10-10, 4-5 ACC, national ranking No. 25
Virginia Tech 12-9, 3-5 ACC, national ranking No. 66
-- RamblinWreck.com --