Jackets Fall To No. 3 North Carolina, 5-2
Ngo and Blau claim individual wins
April 9, 2011
CHAPEL HILL, N.C. - The 12th-ranked Georgia Tech women's tennis team (12-7, 4-4 ACC) fell short in its upset bid of the third-ranked North Carolina Tar Heels (19-4, 8-1 ACC), 5-2, on Saturday afternoon at the Cone-Kenfield Tennis Center in Chapel Hill, N.C.
North Carolina claimed the early advantage by winning the doubles point to begin the match. The Tar Heels' team of Shinann Featherston and Jelena Durisic dispatched the Yellow Jackets' pair of Lynn Blau and Elizabeth Kilborn, 8-1. Tech's number one doubles team of Jillian O'Neill and Caroline Lilley earned an upset win of UNC's number one tandem and 53rd-ranked team of Lauren McHale and Zoe De Bruycker, 8-3.
UNC began singles play with a win by Gina Saurez-Malaguti over the Jackets' Krupina, 6-1, 6-4, on court five. The Tar Heels would extend their lead to 3-0 with a hard fought 7-5, 6-3 win by Jelena Durisic over Tech's Lilley at the number two spot of the lineup.
North Carolina's number 15 ranked Zoe De Bruycker topped the Yellow Jackets' 46th-ranked Jillian O'Neill, 6-4, 6-2, to clinch a Tar Heel win. Blau earned Tech's first point of the day with her 6-4, 6-4 win over UNC's No. 125 Lauren McHale on court four.
The Jackets' Kilborn won her first set 7-6 and won the tiebreak 7-0 over North Carolina's Tessa Lyons. The Tar Heel freshman would win the second set 6-1 to force a third set tiebreak, which Lyons would win 10-6. Ngo finished the match with a 6-4, 3-6, 10-5 win over UNC's Shinann Featherston on court three.
The Yellow Jackets will try to bounce back when the face No. 4 Duke at noon on Sunday in Durham. Live stats will be available through RamblinWreck.com.
Fans can follow Tech tennis on Twitter, @GT_WTEN, for instant updates and live scoring will be available through RamblinWreck.com.
Georgia Tech at North Carolina
April 9, 2011 in Chapel Hill, N.C.
#3 North Carolina 5, #12 Georgia Tech 2
1. #15 Zoe De Bruycker (UNC) def. #46 Jillian O'Neill (GT), 6-4, 6-2
2. Jelena Durisic (UNC) def. #89 Caroline Lilley (GT), 7-5, 6-3
3. #86 Viet Ha Ngo (GT) def. #81 Shinann Featherston (UNC), 6-4, 3-6, 10-5
4. Lynn Blau (GT) def. #125 Lauren McHale (UNC), 6-4, 6-4
5. Gina Saurez-Malaguti (UNC) def. Sasha Krupina (GT), 6-1, 6-4
6. Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 6-7 (0-7), 6-1, 10-6
1. Jillian O'Neill/Caroline Lilley (GT) def. #53 Lauren McHale/Zoe De Bruycker (UNC), 8-3
2. Shinann Featherston/Jelena Durisic (UNC) def. Lynn Blau/Elizabeth Kilborn (GT), 8-1
3. Haley Hemm/Tessa Lyons (UNC) def. Sasha Krupina/Viet Ha Ngo (GT), 8-3
Georgia Tech 11-7, 4-4 ACC; National ranking #12
North Carolina 19-4, 8-1 ACC; National ranking #3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,2,1,4,6,3)
-- RamblinWreck.com --