No. 8 Georgia Tech Downs Wake Forest, 4-0, in ACC Quarterfinals
Yellow Jackets advanced to the ACC semifinals on Saturday
ROME, Ga. – The third-seeded Georgia Tech women’s tennis team clinched a spot in the ACC semifinals, cruising to a 4-0 victory over sixth-seeded Wake Forest Friday afternoon in the quarterfinals. The No. 8 Jackets improved to 24-3 overall with the win.
DOUBLES ACTION: The Jackets made quick work of the doubles point, capturing the early lead within 30 minutes. Tech’s pair of Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud finished first, dropping just one game for a 6-1 victory at the two seed over Chandler Carter/Courtney Meredith. The point was clinched at the number three seed as Nami Otsuka/Luca Fabian fought off a Wake Forest rally. With the Jackets leading 4-1, Emma Davis/Luisa Fernandez climbed back to 4-3 and the tandems traded the next pair of points to put the match at 5-4. Otsuka served out the match for a 6-4 win and clinched the 1-0 lead for the Jackets heading into singles play.
SINGLES PLAY: The Jackets took just six sets to clinch the match in singles play. Kenya Jones put Tech up 2-0, dominating Samantha Asch on court four with a 6-1, 6-0 straight set win. McAdoo wrapped up second and put Tech one point away from clinching with a 6-2, 6-0 win at the top spot over Kimmy Guerin. Otuska clinched her second point of the afternoon, winning on court five over Carter, 6-4, 6-0, to clinch the match for Tech, 4-0.
QUOTABLE: “Hats off to Wake Forest today. I thought they played very, very well. We were fortunate that we played solid doubles at two and three. In singles, Rasheeda came out really strong against Kimmy Guerin who has had a phenomenal year. Kenya played very, very well and we’re fortunate to have Nami close it out for us. Now we’re going to get some rest and get ready for a tough match against either Duke or Clemson tomorrow.” – Head Coach Rodney Harmon
UP NEXT: Tech returns to the courts on Saturday at 2 p.m. in the ACC semifinals and will face the winner of the #2 Duke/#7 Clemson match.
No. 8 Georgia Tech vs. No. 34 Wake Forest
Match Score: No. 8 Georgia Tech 4, No. 34 Wake Forest 0
1. No. 39 Paige Hourigan/Kenya Jones (GT) vs. No. 70 Kimmy Guein/Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) 4-4, DNF
2. No. 22 Rasheeda McAdoo/Johnnise Renaud (GT) def. Chandler Carter/Courtney Meredith (WF), 6-1
3. Nami Otsuka/Luca Fabian (GT) def. Emma Davis/Luisa Fernandez (WF), 6-4
Order of finish: 2,3
Point: Georgia Tech
1. No. 50 Rasheeda McAdoo (GT) def. No. 55 Kimmy Guerin (WF) 6-2, 6-0
2. No. 58 Johnnise Renaud (GT) vs. No. 88 Emma Davis (WF) 6-7, DNF
3. No. 84 Paige Hourigan (GT) vs. Anna Ulyashchenko (WF) 7-6, 0-1, DNF
4. Kenya Jones (GT) def. Samantha Asch (WF) 6-1, 6-0
5. Nami Otsuka (GT) def. Chandler Carter (WF) 6-4, 6-0
6. Luca Fabian (GT) vs. Luisa Fernandez (GT) 5-7, DNF
Order of finish: 4,1,5