Volleyball Rallies to Defeat UC Davis in Five
Jackets win eight straight for first time since 2006
LINCOLN, Neb. – Down in the match 2-0, the Georgia Tech volleyball team (9-1) won a pivotal third set, 37-35, to stay alive in the match and defeated UC Davis (3-6) in five sets at the Nebraska Ameritas Players Challenge on Saturday afternoon.
How it Happened
The Aggies jumped out to a 7-1 lead in the opening frame. Georgia Tech worked its way back into the set calling a timeout down 22-19 and scoring three straight out of the break to tie it up 22-22, but UC Davis escaped with the win 25-23.
The second set featured 14 tied scores and six lead changes with the Aggies winning, 25-21. Both teams fought tooth and nail in the set three, with the Jackets prevailing 37-35. Georgia Tech had set-point four times and UC Davis could have put the match away nine times, but Georgia Tech held on.
The Yellow Jackets raced to a 9-1 lead in game four and stayed strong to win decisively, 25-13. Tech rallied back from an 11-9 deficit to win set five, 15-12.
- Tech is on an eight-game winning streak for the first time since 2006 when Georgia Tech won nine straight.
- At 9-1 Georgia Tech is first in the ACC standings.
- The 37-35 set-three score is the most points scored by Georgia Tech in a set since winning set one 35-33 against Florida State on Oct. 19, 2012.
- Georgia Tech tallied 35 block assists and 21.5 total blocks, which both tie for second on the all-time single match record lists. Lauren Pitz tallied 11 block assists, which ties for second on the all-time single match record list.
- The Van Gunst twins tallied double-doubles: Teegan Van Gunst had 19 kills and 16 digs, and Annika Van Gunst recorded 15 kills with 16 digs.
- Gabriela Stavnetchei had a career-best nine kills and 10 digs, while London Ackermann put up 15 digs.
- The 76 digs are the most for Tech in a match this season.
Georgia Tech wraps up its time in Lincoln, Neb. with a 5:05 p.m. ET matchup Saturday against No. 5 Nebraska.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.