Volleyball Falls to Clemson
Yellow Jackets are back in action Saturday at Virginia
THE FLATS – The Georgia Tech volleyball team (17-10, 8-7 ACC) fell 3-1 to the Clemson Tigers (6-21, 1-14) Wednesday night on Senior Night.
How it Happened
Clemson came out strong in the opening set, jumping out to an 8-2 lead. The Yellow Jackets worked hard to tie it late in the set at 20-20. From there, it was a back and forth battle that went into extra points with Clemson holding on to win 30-28.
The second set featured 10 tied scores and four lead changes. Clemson led late at 24-21 and was able to put the game away, 25-21.
The Yellow Jackets were down 8-7 in game three, but used an 7-1 run to take a 14-9 lead. The Tigers never recovered, and Georgia Tech forced a fourth set by winning, 25-16.
Clemson regrouped and took an early 8-5 lead in game four. The Tigers then scored seven straight to make that 15-5. With Clemson in the lead, 22-14, the Yellow Jackets made a late run to make it 22-19, but the Tigers held on to win, 25-20.
“I think Clemson played a terrific match defensively against us,” head coach Michelle Collier said. “They served us tough all night, out blocked us and out dug us. They were the better team tonight and very deserving of this win. We will learn from tonight, work on getting better on the things we struggled with and move on to our next match on Saturday.”
- The Yellow Jackets tallied a season-high 98 digs, which ties for ninth on Georgia Tech’s single-match records.
- London Ackermann put up 29 digs, while Ashley Askin added 10.
- Annika Van Gunst tallied her seventh double-double of the season with a season-high 18 kills and 17 digs, and hit at a .405 clip.
- Rebecca Martin recorded her third double-double of the season with 24 assists and a career-high 18 digs.
- Teegan Van Gunst had 11 kills, Sydney Wilson and Ashley Askin added eight each, and Lauren Pitz had seven.
The Yellow Jackets are back in action at Virginia on Saturday at 7 p.m.
For the latest information on the Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets, follow us on Twitter (@GTVolleyball), Instagram (GTVolleyball), Facebook (Georgia Tech Volleyball) or visit us at www.ramblinwreck.com.