2015 Volleyball Season Recap
Jackets finished 18-14 overall and 9-11 in ACC play
- Georgia Tech finished with an overall record of 18-14, and 9-11 in ACC play. It marks the first time Georgia Tech has finished with a winning record since 2012.
- The 18 wins and nine ACC wins are the most for the Yellow Jackets since 2012.
- Georgia Tech finished the season with 1,637 kills, which are the most since the 2010 team recorded 1,652.
- Georgia Tech tallied a season-high 98 digs against Clemson, which ties for ninth on Georgia Tech’s single-match records.
- In the five-set win against UC Davis, the 37-35 set-three score were the most points scored by Georgia Tech in a set since winning set one 35-33 against Florida State on Oct. 19, 2012. The Jackets tallied 35 block assists and 21.5 total blocks, which both tie for second on the all-time single match record lists.
- The Jackets put up 28 block assists against Boston College on Sept. 27, 2015 tied for 12th on the all-time GT single match records.
TEAM REGULAR SEASON FINISH - ACC
- 4th in assists/set (12.88)
- 4th in digs/set (15.98)
- 5th in kills/set (13.64)
- 7th in opponent hitting percentage (.201)
- 10th in the ACC standings.
- 11th in hitting percentage (.220)
- 12th in blocks/set (2.17)
- 15th in aces/set (0.96)
- The win against Notre Dame on Oct. 11, 2015 was the program’s overall 700th win and Tech has 706 total wins. Tech has 641 wins as a Division I program
- The Yellow Jackets defeated Virginia Tech in Blacksburg on Oct. 18 for the first time since a 3-2 win on Oct. 2, 2010.
- Georgia Tech’s sweep of Clemson on the Tigers’ home court inside Jervey Gym on Sept. 25 was the Yellow Jackets’ first win on the road at Clemson since a 3-2 victory on Nov. 27, 2009.
- Georgia Tech had its best start (9-2) of the season since going 11-2 to open the 2012 season.
- Tech won eight-straight matches (Aug. 29 - Sept. 12) for the longest winning streak by the Yellow Jackets since 2006.
- 10 of Tech’s 18 wins were sweeps.
- The Yellow Jackets win against Duke on Nov. 6 snapped a 12-game losing streak to the Blue Devils. It marked the first time Georgia Tech beat the Blue Devils since a 3-1 win on Nov. 8, 2007. It was Tech’s first sweep of Duke since Nov. 5, 2004 - almost 11 years to the day.
Teegan Van Gunst
- Named First-Team All-ACC, making her the first Yellow Jacket to earn the award since Monique Mead in 2012.
- Led the team in kills (471) and averaged 3.92 kills per set.
- 471 kills are the most by a Yellow Jacket since Monique Mead put down 459 in 2012.
- Scored 20 double-doubles.
- Tallied 25 matches with 10+ kills, and 23 matches with 10+ digs.
- Started every set (120).
- Named ACC Player of the Week twice – Sept. 7, Sept. 28
- Named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District 4 team.
- Selected MVP of the UGA Challenge.
- Selected to the GT Courtyard by Marriott Atlanta Midtown Invite and Nebraska Ameritas Players Challenge All-Tournament teams.
- Stats in the ACC at the end of the regular season:
- 1st in kills (471)
- 1st in kills/set (3.92)
- 1st in points (520)
- 2nd in points/set (1.33)
Annika Van Gunst
- Seven double-doubles on the season.
- 12 matches with 10+ kills, and 13 matches with 10+ digs.
- Second on the team with 307 kills and 2.56 kills per set.
- Put up a season-best 332 digs and 76 total blocks.
- Tallied a career-high 19 digs twice this season.
- Recorded a career-best nine blocks against UC Davis (Sept. 12).
- Named to the Nebraska Ameritas Players Challenge All-Tournament Team.
- Led the team with 126 total blocks, 21 of them solo stuffs, and averaged 1.06 blocks per set.
- 126 blocks are the most by a Yellow Jacket since Annie Czarnecki had 123 in 2012.
- With 21 solo blocks this season, Wilson needs just four more next season to make the GT single-season record list.
- Recorded a season-high 281 kills and hit .249 on the season.
- Tallied 12 matches with 10+ kills.
- Hit above .400 (min. 5 kills) in seven matches this season.
- Named to the UGA Challenge All-Tournament Team.
- Led the team with 478 digs and 4.16 digs pet set.
- 6th in the ACC in digs/ per set (4.16).
- With 478 digs this season, is now 10th on GT's single season records.
- 478 digs are the most by a Yellow Jacket since 2010.
- Put up a career-high 29 digs against Clemson (Nov. 11).
- Eclipsed 1,000 career digs against Boston College on Sept. 27. The last Yellow Jacket to record 1,000+ digs was Jordan McCullers, who reached the benchmark in 2010.
- With 1,258 digs, needs 20 digs next season to be on GT top 10 career list.
- Tallied 20+ digs in seven matches. Recorded double-digit digs in every match except five.
- Tallied her 2,000th career assist against Pitt (Oct. 16), making her only one of 10 Yellow Jackets to accomplish the feat.
- 7th in the ACC in assists per set (8.69).
- 9th on GT’s career assists list (2,471).
- Four double-doubles this season.
- Tallied career-highs in kills (6 vs. Duke, on Nov. 6) and digs (18 vs. Clemson, on Nov. 11).
- Tallied a career-best 3 solo blocks vs. Wake Forest (Nov. 6).
- 11 block assists UC Davis on Sept. 12 tied for 2nd on the GT all-time single match list, and tied for 3rd on the single-match total blocks list.
- Recorded a season-high 167 kills and the second-most blocks on the team with 108 total stuffs.
- Tallied a career-high 4 aces vs. The Citadel (Aug. 29).
- Three double-doubles this season.
- Tallied career kills (13) and digs (27) at Notre Dame (Nov. 20).
- Recorded the fourth-most kills on the team with a season-best 231, 178 more kills than a season ago for Askin.
- Four double-doubles this season.
- Tallied a season-best 36 assists at Boston College (Nov. 1).
- Put up a career-best 11 digs twice.
- Hit .556 (6K-1E-9A) against USF (Sept. 11).
- One kill away from her first career double-double against UC Davis (9K; 10D) on Sept. 12.
- Tallied a career-high 10 kills at Notre Dame (Nov. 20).
- Tallied a career-high 18 digs at Syracuse (Oct. 30).
- Tallied a season-best 12 kills and a .474 hitting percentage against Boston College (Sept. 27).
- Was the difference maker in the five-set victory against Boston College, playing the last three sets and tallying 12 kills.
- Tallied her first collegiate kill against UT-Martin (Aug. 29).
- Made her first collegiate start against The Citadel (Aug. 29).