Georgia Tech’s Season Ends with 10-1 Loss at Florida
Kel Johnson went 3-for-4 in finale
GAINESVILLE, Fla. – Georgia Tech’s 2016 season came to an end Sunday night as the Yellow Jackets suffered a 10-1 loss to the top-seeded Florida Gators in the NCAA Gainesville Regional.
Georgia Tech (38-25) finished as the regional runner-up with a 2-2 record. Florida (50-13) advances to face Florida State in the NCAA Super Regional later this week.
• Georgia Tech earned a trip to the NCAA Gainesville Regional Championship Game, its first trip to a Regional Championship Game since 2013 in Nashville.
• This weekend marks the 31st NCAA Regional appearance in Georgia Tech history and 20th of the Danny Hall era.
• Georgia Tech is 33-60-1 all-time vs. Florida, including
• Georgia Tech is 71-63 all-time in the NCAA postseason.
• Danny Hall is 55-45 all-time in the NCAA postseason.
• Georgia Tech is 7-8 all-time in NCAA Gainesville Regional games.
HOW IT HAPPENED
• Florida took a 1-0 lead in the 1st on Mike Rivera’s RBI single through the left side.
• The Gators broke the game open in the 5th and 6th innings. Florida took a 4-0 lead in the 5th after an RBI single by Jonathan India, and RBI doubles from Peter Alonso and J.J. Schwarz.
• Florida added four more runs in the 6th for an 8-0 cushion and later tacked on two more runs in the 9th for a 10-0 lead.
• Georgia Tech threatened in the 9th by loading the bases with one out. Coleman Poje drew a bases-loaded walk to plate Tech’s lone run.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
• Georgia Tech is 17-21 this season when opponents score first.
• Georgia Tech is 21-23 this season when its starting pitch goes less than 6 innings.
• Georgia Tech is 5-22 when allowing 6 or more runs this season.
• Sophomore DH Kel Johnson recorded 3 of Tech’s 6 hits, going 3-for-4.
• Tech finished the season with a school-record 80 double plays.
• Joey Bart, Wade Bailey, Matt Gonzalez and Tristin English were all named to the NCAA Gainesville Regional All-Tournament Team.